Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here
Default Michael Finley in his Prime?

The Mike Finley appreciation thread made me think about the Dallas version of Michael for awhile. Just how good was Michael in his prime with Dallas?

I would say his prime seasons were from 1999-2004. During that time, he was a two time All-Star and Olympian and had multiple playoff runs with the Mavericks.

During those season, where was he ranked among shooting guards/swingmen and was he ever a top 20 player in the league?
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #2
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Michael Finley in his Prime?

fin was really good for a while. he didn't get any spotlight until about 2002 because he was in dallas and they weren't any good until nash and dirk got cookin', but he was a helluva good athlete and had great range. i don't know where to rank him overall, but he must have been a top 3 sg somewhere in there. he carried one of my fantasy teams back then too.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

No he was never a top 20 player lol... He has always been a glorified jumpshooter with horrible handles who could never drive. Therefore hes never been a player that you could give the ball in the last seconds and say, win this game for us Finley, because you have to be able to dribble the ball into the lane to do this.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
No he was never a top 20 player lol... He has always been a glorified jumpshooter with horrible handles who could never drive. Therefore hes never been a player that you could give the ball in the last seconds and say, win this game for us Finley, because you have to be able to dribble the ball into the lane to do this.
Ok, so what 20 players where hands down better?
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
D-Town-Raised
I brick open layups

D-Town-Raised has an OK reputation so far

Evaluation of Finley by me who saw his whole Dallas career.

Finley is a player who can score 22 points a game as the number 1 option on a bad team. Or he can score 15 points a game as the third option on a good team.

Finley and Joe Johnson are about equal.

Average three point shooter.
Extremely stiff. Not stiff in the sense that he is a scrub but stiff in the sense that he has no flow to his game. Finley is a mechanical player but is not very consistent or fundamental in his mechanics.
Finley has no dribbles what so ever.
Finley can jump but not in flow.
Finley can take two hard dribbles with his right then rise off of two feet for the slam.
He can not cross anybody over then jump off of one foot and glide for the facial.
For this reason he was never able to fully take advantage of his vertical.
Finley can only take one dribble with his left then rise up for the jumper.
If Finley takes two or more dribbles with his left he will be stripped.
So he has no left hand, a weak strong hand dribble and cannot jump in flow.

Finley was a good perimeter defender and an iron man.

He never missed games and always played alot of minutes. This is the reason for his all star games. They were showing love to his durability.

Finley has no clutch ability what so ever.

I have never seen a man who shot more last second game tying shots or shots for the win who never made one.

Finley was always the go to guy in these situations and he always failed.

Finley was the main reason for the lack of success of the big three in Dallas.

He took shots from Dirk and clutch shots from Nash.

Three of Finleys shots should have went to Dirk and the game winners should have went to Nash.

Because Finley was a veteran. He was given too big of a load and trusted at end of games when he should not have been.

Finley's average should have been 4 points lower and Dirks 4 points higher.
Nash should have taken the last shots and not Finley.
D-Town-Raised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
artest 93
Local High School Star

artest 93 has decent reputationartest 93 has decent reputation

HEHEHEHE this is bait for angry jealous mav fans. hahaha! their former super star winning a ring with their nemesis. oh, you couldn't make this up. let the denial and trash talking begin :)
artest 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by artest 93
HEHEHEHE this is bait for angry jealous mav fans. hahaha! their former super star winning a ring with their nemesis. oh, you couldn't make this up. let the denial and trash talking begin :)
Let it begin???

It's already started. Look at the post above yours.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
He has no idea.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
who could never drive.
You're telling me Michael Finley, who was a human poster waiting to happen in his prime, couldn't drive?

I see.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Def better
Shaq
Duncan
KG
Kobe
Mac
AI
VC
Webber
Pierce
Ray Allen
Payton
Kidd

Maybe
Jermaine
Toine' (don't laugh)
Allan Houston
Cassell
Dirk
Rasheed
Baron Davis
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
D-Town-Raised
I brick open layups

Quote:
Let it begin???

It's already started. Look at the post above yours.

My post is the truth about Finley's abilities.

I have no ill will towards Finley for leaving or getting a Championship. No ill will for him getting paid still. They way I described Finley is what he is. That was his game in his prime.

Left hand dribble rise for jumper.
Two strong right hand dribbles jump off two feet for slam.
Wide Open three in rhythm from the wing.
Three from top of the key.
Fade Away game winners that never go in.

This was Finley's game in Dallas.

He was an iron man and their best defender. He was given too much trust and shots on offense.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
melvinthompson
I hit open 5-footers

melvinthompson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Toine' (don't laugh)

melvinthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
melvinthompson
I hit open 5-footers

melvinthompson has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Town-Raised
My post is the truth about Finley's abilities.

I have no ill will towards Finley for leaving or getting a Championship. No ill will for him getting paid still. They way I described Finley is what he is. That was his game in his prime.

Left hand dribble rise for jumper.
Two strong right hand dribbles jump off two feet for slam.
Wide Open three in rhythm from the wing.
Three from top of the key.
Fade Away game winners that never go in.

This was Finley's game in Dallas.

He was an iron man and their best defender. He was given too much trust and shots on offense.

You are right in some respects. Finley's game mostly consisted of jump shots and he never really was great at driving the ball. He would get some nice dunks usually off drive and dish's by Nash, but don't compare him to JJ because JJ's game is far more developed than Finley's ever has been. With all of that said, he probably had one of the most consistent Js in the league and one of the best mid range games.
melvinthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
D-Town-Raised
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinthompson
You are right in some respects. Finley's game mostly consisted of jump shots and he never really was great at driving the ball. He would get some nice dunks usually off drive and dish's by Nash, but don't compare him to JJ because JJ's game is far more developed than Finley's ever has been. With all of that said, he probably had one of the most consistent Js in the league and one of the best mid range games.

Not comparing their game comparing their class and where they rank.

25-30

Can be the first option on a bad team or the third option on a good team.

Joe and Finley are the same here.

Finley was the first option on a bad until Nash and Dirk came and developed then he became the third option on a good team but was treted as the second.

Joe Johnson was the third or fourth option on a good team then left and became the number one option on a bad team.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
ThaKid
King

ThaKid has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
ur biased, u dont count cuz u hate Finley for some reason
ThaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: