Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
Interminator
Banned

Default Why move back to New Orleans?

Am I the only person baffled why the Hornets moved back to New Orleans?

The management believes because of how well the Saints were recieved once they came back to New Orleans it shouldnt be no different for the Hornets.WRONG!

The Saints have been intertwined with New Orleans culture the way the Broncos are in Denver and the Bengals are in Cincinatti.They all have something else in common,they're football teams.Basketball is not as big as football and it never will be.The Hornets have only been in New Orleans since 2002 and have never made the playoffs in their move to the Western Conference.
Though they do have a good team,whats going to keep Hornets fans in the crowd when they start losing?Are their even Hornets fans in New Orleans?

Oklahoma City fans came out to support the team even when they were mediocre but they didnt want to stay in a state that has no professional teams but return to a city that cares little to nothing about them

This is possibly the dumbest move ever made by a team
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Interminator
Banned

Default Re: Why move back to New Orleans?

In My Oppinion:
Move the Hornets franchise back to Oklahoma City this time on a permanent basis,then grant New Orleans and another city a future expansion franchise to keep the league's number of teams an equal number

The Sonics are not moving anywhere
Old 08-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
cdub1591
Banned

New Orleans is their home...They cant just abandon their home...Oklahoma will get their own team in due time, but the Hornets are not theirs...
cdub1591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #4
artificial
:-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator
The Sonics are not moving anywhere
Is that sarcasm or wishful thinking?
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub1591
New Orleans is their home...They cant just abandon their home...Oklahoma will get their own team in due time, but the Hornets are not theirs...
The Hornets aren't New Orleans'

they've played a full season their for about 3 years

they only sold out when a team like Miami or Cleveland came to town to thrash them
Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
Is that sarcasm or wishful thinking?
Wishful thinking?

The Sonics have too much history in Seattle to move

they need 18,000 signatures by November 1st
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #7
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

As much as I hate the Hornets franchise for leaving Charlotte, you just don't leave a city high and dry after the Katrina disaster. It just wouldn't have been right. OKC showed that they may deserve a team and hopefully they do get one soon, but you just can't leave a city that way after all that they've been through.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
artificial
:-P

Quote:
Wishful thinking?

The Sonics have too much history in Seattle to move

they need 18,000 signatures by November 1st
uh... I'm not going to bother. Go ask RainierBeachPoet or any other diehard sonic fan with a brain. They really love their team where it is, and they still think the franchise moving is unavoidable.

Every move the franchise has made lately points to them moving. If they stay where they are, I'll celebrate. In fact I have no clue where they are going to move if they do.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #9
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD
As much as I hate the Hornets franchise for leaving Charlotte, you just don't leave a city high and dry after the Katrina disaster. It just wouldn't have been right. OKC showed that they may deserve a team and hopefully they do get one soon, but you just can't leave a city that way after all that they've been through.

Maybe because ticket sales have been very poor even when they are good but they havent seemed to be grasped as New Orleans' team,New Orleans has never been a basketball city

OKC has NO professional teams,you could bring the team there and they could go 5-35,and all of their games would be sold out or 75% filled
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #10
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Maybe because ticket sales have been very poor even when they are good but they havent seemed to be grasped as New Orleans' team,New Orleans has never been a basketball city

OKC has NO professional teams,you could bring the team there and they could go 5-35,and all of their games would be sold out or 75% filled

You've created some really dumb threads lately.

The only thing about this whole thread that I agree with is that it would be better to move the Hornets to Oklahoma than to create another expansion team in an already watered down league.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS KD

sure they can. They weren't drawing well before Katrina hit and its gonna be even worse now that the citys population is down. Plus most of the people there are not gonna be wasting their cash on NBA games.

They really should have never gone there in the first place. ShinRidge esta diablo.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial
uh... I'm not going to bother. Go ask RainierBeachPoet or any other diehard sonic fan with a brain. They really love their team where it is, and they still think the franchise moving is unavoidable.

Every move the franchise has made lately points to them moving. If they stay where they are, I'll celebrate. In fact I have no clue where they are going to move if they do.
:rollingeyes:

The reason why the arena has yet to be done is because the Seahawks and Mariners all have gotten new stadiums in the past decade

why not be different and play @ Qwest field in the open
it was awesome when Michigan State and Kentucky did it at Ford Field
Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
You've created some really dumb threads lately.

The only thing about this whole thread that I agree with is that it would be better to move the Hornets to Oklahoma than to create another expansion team in an already watered down league.

Mathius
My threads are dumb but you agree with something in it:rollingeyes:

and could you care to explain how the league is watered down?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 PM   #14
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
:rollingeyes:

The reason why the arena has yet to be done is because the Seahawks and Mariners all have gotten new stadiums in the past decade

why not be different and play @ Qwest field in the open
it was awesome when Michigan State and Kentucky did it at Ford Field

I dont think they are going to get a publicly funded stadium anytime soon now that the bridge collapse has highlighted the need to direct those funds to far more important things.

Good thing too. Publicly funded arenas and stadiums are BS.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:30 PM   #15
Copperhead
Local High School Star

Quote:
Am I the only person baffled why the Hornets moved back to New Orleans?

The management believes because of how well the Saints were recieved once they came back to New Orleans it shouldnt be no different for the Hornets.WRONG!

The Saints have been intertwined with New Orleans culture the way the Broncos are in Denver and the Bengals are in Cincinatti.They all have something else in common,they're football teams.Basketball is not as big as football and it never will be.The Hornets have only been in New Orleans since 2002 and have never made the playoffs in their move to the Western Conference.
Though they do have a good team,whats going to keep Hornets fans in the crowd when they start losing?Are their even Hornets fans in New Orleans?

Oklahoma City fans came out to support the team even when they were mediocre but they didnt want to stay in a state that has no professional teams but return to a city that cares little to nothing about them

This is possibly the dumbest move ever made by a team

What keeps ANY fans in the crowd when a team is losing? You put a winning team on the floor and the fans will be there. And this is for ANY team. Not just the Hornets. I'm talking mainly about the smaller markets. I don't know why just because they had a poor team the last season in New Orleans pre-Katrina, this is supposed to be different for the Hornets. Put a nice product on the floor and the fans will be there. They were there in OKC because initially, the people wanted to see other teams (yes, I have read where some of them have said this). They knew the Hornets were a poor team coming in but why not get the chance to see Yao, Garnett, Kobe, T-Mac and all the big names while they had a chance. But it turned out the Hornets had drafted a stud in Paul after getting rid of a few cancers on the team and they improved their win total by 20. They were very exciting to see. The summer of drafting Paul, ticket season sales were on the rise but of course we all know what happened. I don't see anyone talking about moving the Hawks. Why? Because even though they don't have the fans, they have the business support. And when they start winning, the fans will also be there. I guess another thing that will baffle your mind is that the Hornets have a better business model in place in New Orleans than in OKC. Better revenue deals and such. You should read up on it. If you feel so bad for OKC and you think they should have a team, start a petition to send them yours. And guess what? If it were ALL about fans and attendance, the Hornets wouldn't have left Charlotte in the first place. The long history of the Sonics in Seattle apparently don't mean anything either seeing they are considering moving to OKC. If it were about the fans, you have to believe that in no way would they be moving from Seattle. But, it's not about the fans. The Hornets were never marketed properly in the first 3 years in New Orleans. They basically ran FROM Charlotte more than they ran TO New Orleans. But now they appear to be trying to make it work with putting a better product on the floor, (Shinn has a reputation for being cheap and he obviously thought he could continue to put poor product on the floor) the practice facility being built, corporate sponsors, new local minority owners. George Shinn and his minority partner Ray Woolridge weren't even on speaking terms by the time Shinn bought him out. That is a very ugly sitution. Coach changes every season. And I mean honestly, how many fans want to go see Dan Dickau, Matt Freije, Rodney Rogers (no offense to those guys but they aren't exactly guys that people run to see). I started not to even join in on this thread but I had to put this out here. I've only read the first post and it's all I'm going to read. Peace.
And to answer your question, yes, there are Hornets fans in New Orleans.
Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: