Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Milwaukee Bucks Forum

Milwaukee Bucks Forum Milwaukee Bucks forum - Milwaukee Bucks message board

Old 08-17-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

BBallGuru08 has an OK reputation so far
Default Give up On Yi

Larry Harris is looking like the dumbest GM in the league for drafting Yi Jianlian. Dan Fegan and China's powers that be, did everything they could to make sure that Milwaukee didn't draft Yi. The fact that they were excluded from private workouts wasn't sign enough, how about them telling you that Yi isn't going to play in Milwaukee. So what does Harris do? Drafts Yi anyway. Now, Yi is willing to sit out a year and re-enter the draft again next year. The only problem with that is, that he can't even play for China's national team or the Bucks will retain his rights.

I wouldn't look for any teams to bail Harris and the Bucks out. They made a bonehead move and will have to live with or pay for it. They may just have to take future picks for Yi instead of losing a lottery pick altogether. Another point is, don't the Bucks already have Bogut, Villanueva, and Markota that can play the PF spot? Simmons at the 3. Redd at the 2. What they really needed was a point guard instead of paying Maurice Williams $8M a year as a score first PG. I would of taken Acie Law and let Mo Williams goto Miami for much less than $8M.

The only possibly deal would be take Stephen Lasme and 2 future first rounders from GS (08 and 09s). With the way the Warriors played last year, those picks will not be lottery picks. Either way, the Bucks are going to get robbed and rightfully so. You either lose the pick or gain future picks in return. Its pretty simple. They're not going to get Brandan Wright and O'Bryant. Maybe O'Bryant and a first rounder in 09 for Yi. The point is, don't expect much.
BBallGuru08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation
Default Re: Give up On Yi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBallGuru08
Larry Harris is looking like the dumbest GM in the league for drafting Yi Jianlian. Dan Fegan and China's powers that be, did everything they could to make sure that Milwaukee didn't draft Yi. The fact that they were excluded from private workouts wasn't sign enough, how about them telling you that Yi isn't going to play in Milwaukee. So what does Harris do? Drafts Yi anyway. Now, Yi is willing to sit out a year and re-enter the draft again next year. The only problem with that is, that he can't even play for China's national team or the Bucks will retain his rights.

I wouldn't look for any teams to bail Harris and the Bucks out. They made a bonehead move and will have to live with or pay for it. They may just have to take future picks for Yi instead of losing a lottery pick altogether. Another point is, don't the Bucks already have Bogut, Villanueva, and Markota that can play the PF spot? Simmons at the 3. Redd at the 2. What they really needed was a point guard instead of paying Maurice Williams $8M a year as a score first PG. I would of taken Acie Law and let Mo Williams goto Miami for much less than $8M.

The only possibly deal would be take Stephen Lasme and 2 future first rounders from GS (08 and 09s). With the way the Warriors played last year, those picks will not be lottery picks. Either way, the Bucks are going to get robbed and rightfully so. You either lose the pick or gain future picks in return. Its pretty simple. They're not going to get Brandan Wright and O'Bryant. Maybe O'Bryant and a first rounder in 09 for Yi. The point is, don't expect much.

Agreed it was a stupid move. They could've had Brandan Wright, Joakim Noah, Corey Brewer, Julian Wright, Acie Law, Al Thornton, etc. etc. but they took E Jianlian lol i like spelling it that way. There were all those players that could have contributed much more and they drafted for potential on a kid who didn't want them. Like you said, the signs were there. It was a stupid move and now they're paying for it, like they rightly deserve.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

I don't like the title...Give up On Yi. It's a little too early to give up on him. I love how he fits in offensively because he can hang outside while Bogut hangs in the paint and facilitates the offense with his passing ability. Only problem is he's too skinny to take on bigger players on defense. And that's a major problem, as Andrew Bogut is no Ben Wallace.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
Wo1fshadow
I brick open layups

Wo1fshadow has an OK reputation so far

It was a foolish move to draft Yi, but now they have to decide whether they awnt to play him or not, i think they should, and Yi should play in Milwaukee, see how things go, dont let a year go to waste.
Wo1fshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
twosha
Can barely lace up my sneakers

twosha has an OK reputation so far

that pick ranks high in the bucks stupid move 1 not paying kareem;don nelson;paul p. for a washed up dale ellis and breaking up allen;bigdog;cassel thats why we're not a championships since the 70's.if he doesn't play or is traded.
twosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo1fshadow
It was a foolish move to draft Yi, but now they have to decide whether they awnt to play him or not, i think they should, and Yi should play in Milwaukee, see how things go, dont let a year go to waste.

Its not a matter of playing Yi or not. The problem is getting Yi and China to sign a contract to even play in Milwaukee. If he doesn't sign, he's not going to play. All signs are pointing to Jianlian not signing. Without Yi, the Bucks are still in good shape with Wiliiams, Redd, Simmons, Villanueva, and Bogut. I wouldn't expect them to be much better with Yi since he's still a bit of a project, but I'd rather get future picks than to lose him with nothing to show for it.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #7
FortMillLaker

FortMillLaker has an OK reputation so far
Smile Re: Give up On Yi

What could the Lakers give you for him that you could live with?
FortMillLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
BBallGuru08
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillLaker

With the Bucks over the cap, they can't really do much which means that they can't do what the Bobcats and Golden State did where Charlotte absorbed a much larger contract with Jason Richardson. The Bucks may have to convince Yi and company to do a sign and trade which would take 30 days. I'm not sure the Lakers have anyone the Bucks would want. The only way I see it working is if the Lakers give up 2 future first round picks for Yi and it maybe a deal that Harris would feel compelled to take. Another option, since Elton Brand is out for a majority of the season, is for Yi to goto the other LA team, the Clippers. They're going to suck, so it won't be a bad idea to throw Yi right into the fire and hope he develops quick. They can probably get that done with a top 3 protected first rounder, which should be a lottery pick anyways.

Last edited by BBallGuru08 : 08-21-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
FortMillLaker

Thumbs up Re: Give up On Yi

BBallGuru08,

If I was Buss I would give two first rounders for Yi and let him be Kobe's manager. Seriously, I would do that in a heartbeat. I have come far past my belief that Marcus Liberty was going to the MAN some years ago. I don't see the Clips going for it. Elgin is not that bright.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny_navis
Agreed it was a stupid move. They could've had Brandan Wright, Joakim Noah, Corey Brewer, Julian Wright, Acie Law, Al Thornton, etc. etc. but they took E Jianlian lol i like spelling it that way. There were all those players that could have contributed much more and they drafted for potential on a kid who didn't want them. Like you said, the signs were there. It was a stupid move and now they're paying for it, like they rightly deserve.
Noah didn't want to play for the Bucks either, genius.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #11
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillLaker
Bucks aren't trading Yi. He will suit up for the Bucks this year, because the CBA will make him.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
FortMillLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Bucks aren't trading Yi. He will suit up for the Bucks this year, because the CBA will make him.

My other thought in him at the Lakers is that his english might be really poor and he can smile while Kobe rants and complains while Yi is standing there like Jackie Chan when Chris Tucker is running his mouth This way the rest of the team can play and Kobe can relieve his stress.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #13
adamcz
Bucks fan

How's our bball guru look now?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM   #14
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Good Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat coolGood Old Willy is considered somewhat cool

I'm smirking at all those posters who thought the the Bucks had no leeway or "no leverage" and the Yi's camp would get their way.

Underestimate, Overestimate, Go forth and false Prognosticate!
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
Ian
Ahh, buck it.

Ian has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Old Willy
I'm smirking at all those posters who thought the the Bucks had no leeway or "no leverage" and the Yi's camp would get their way.

Underestimate, Overestimate, Go forth and false Prognosticate!
I know, right.

We got him now. Whether you like it or not. Will he be worth all this trouble? Well...we'll have to see, won't we?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: