Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 09-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
ThaKid
King

Default So Kobe got voted in the All-Star game in 1998, as a bench player???

Was he really the best SG in the West, even tho he only averaged 26 mins, 15 points and one start???

Can someone describe the hype/how he made the team/why he was 6th man/and how it was for Kobe in 98???

My knowledge is very little about this...
ThaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
90sDynasty
Decent playground baller

Default Re: So Kobe got voted in the All-Star game in 1998, as a bench player???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKid
Was he really the best SG in the West, even tho he only averaged 26 mins, 15 points and one start???

Can someone describe the hype/how he made the team/why he was 6th man/and how it was for Kobe in 98???

It was all the Jordan vs Kobe, new heir to the throne hype.
90sDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 AM   #3
eurobum
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: So Kobe got voted in the All-Star game in 1998, as a bench player???

i'm pretty sure he was starting that year. if so, then the fans voted him in.
eurobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:

kobe was voted on by fans, because fans liked him. he wasn't anywhere near the top 2guard in the league, I mean let's face it, 1998 Kobe wasn't even a top 30 player in the league.

The media then hyped up Jordan vs Kobe and put the two prominent on the posters for all star game.

Throw in the fact that Kobe was gunning from the start, waved off picks by Malone....that led to the beginning of Kobe hate. George Karl benched him in the 4th because he felt Kobe was chucking.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:18 AM   #5
eurobum

not just chucking .. to be fair, he did play well. karl felt his display was outright disrespectful to the vets ... this was his first ASG appearance, had to "pay his dues" or whatever.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #6
90sDynasty
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum
not just chucking .. to be fair, he did play well. karl felt his display was outright disrespectful to the vets ... this was his first ASG appearance, had to "pay his dues" or whatever.

he probably wanted to impress him after that 3 consecutive airballs game he had against Malone in the playoffs.
90sDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #7
eurobum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sDynasty
he probably wanted to impress him after that 3 consecutive airballs game he had against Malone in the playoffs.

except it was george karl ... malone he disrespected by waiving off his picks so he could go iso against MJ.

but luckily he was hitting shots ... because they were inappropriate, the kinna shots that when you see a player shoot them, you think, "oh **** this is gonna end bad," only to be relieved that he makes them. think he had like 18 points, put on a nice show, but definitely ballhogging.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:44 AM   #8
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobum
i'm pretty sure he was starting that year. if so, then the fans voted him in.

Nope he was backing up Eddie Jones. The fans just really liked him. I think that was the year he won the dunk contest too. Didn't really deserve to be in the game but luckily afterward he worked on his game enough to make up for it.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:58 AM   #9
Shep
Decent college freshman

eddie jones was the best shooting guard in the west in '98
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Lebron23 is a robot.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
EricForman
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Kobe Bryant won the NBA Slamdunk contest 1997 at the age of 18 yrs.old and 6 months. The Reason Kobe Bryant got voted in the NBA ALL STAR Game is to hype the last game of Michael Jordan, it is like passing the the torch from one superstar to another. In 1998 Kobe Bryant was one of the best rising star in the NBA and he wil live to his expectation winning 3 NBA titles with Shaquille O'Neal and becoming the 1st NBA player to score 81 Points since Chamberlain scored 100 points in 1962.

this crap is so hilarious. it's like a press release thats written by a third world country. Like this is a how an English press release would look at Laos or something.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:09 PM   #12
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep
eddie jones was the best shooting guard in the west in '98
probably would have been spree if he wasn't suspended. i do think kobe was starting in 98, at least some of the season. it was a fun game. he and mike went back and forth a bit. it was sort of out of synch because there were a lot of new guys on each side.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

i remember him and jordan going at it..he did shoot some long 3s with jordan in his face and actually made some of them. and yeah he didn't play in the 4th, and he was outscoring jordan as of the 3rd quarter.

he prolly didn't listen to his teamates or coach during that game
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #14
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:

The internet makes me feel old.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
ForceOfNature
In It to Win It

Quote:

I remember that season, Kobe was voted as an All-Star starter by the fans. Yes, it was about Jordan vs. Bryant. Kobe was way overhyped that year, because his stats were fairly mediocre. Lucky for the overhypers that he eventually became this good.
ForceOfNature is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: