Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Walton_04 has an OK reputation so far
Default Am I too optimisitic

I honestly believe that last year's team (barring those injuries) was good enough
to finish 5th, with a shot at the 2nd round.

We have some big ifs out there but,
If Kobe returns and decides to give it 100%
If Odom, Kwame and Mihm recouperate from injury
If Bynum improves even slightly
If Javaris Crittenton turns out to be a quality guard off the bench
If we don't lose a key player for more than 10 games
If D Fish gives what's expected of him

Don't you think they have a shot at 5th place? And perhaps sneak into the 2nd round?

We already know that Minnesota, Portland, Clippers, Sonics, and kings will be significantly worse than the Lakers. We know that Spurs, Suns and Mavs are top 3, and maybe Denver will be 4th.

Outside of that, I don't believe that the Rockets and Jazz are superior to the Lakers. The rockets will lose Yao and McGrady for 20 games each. Golden State and the Hornets can hang with the Lakers, but I think the Lakers should be better (at least on paper).

Am I too optimistic?

Last edited by Walton_04 : 09-13-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Walton_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

Dengness9 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Am I too optimisitic

Too optimistic. Rockets and Jazz are clearly better. Saying McGrady and Yao will miss 20 games each is a complete guess. Mcgrady vs. Kobe gives Kobe an edge but not a huge one and Yao owns anyone on LA. The Jazz are just a way better team than LA. Better starting 5, better bench, better team unity/chemistry. The 8 teams i really see making the playoffs are..
Seeded by overall record
1. Suns
2. Mavs
3.Spurs
4.Rockets
5.Jazz
6. Denver
7. Memphis... yeah thats right
8. Lakers or Golden State
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengness9
Saying McGrady and Yao will miss 20 games each is a complete guess.

Given their history, I wouldn't call it a guess.
Look at McGrady's career log:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/playerS...tegoryId=71351

He will miss several games; he just doesn't stay healthy.

Yao Ming is actually averaging less than 60 games the last 2 seasons.
His body makes him injury prone.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/playerS...egoryId=110520

I'll bet an avatar on it!

Last edited by Walton_04 : 09-13-2007 at 06:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Too optimistic. Rockets and Jazz are clearly better. Saying McGrady and Yao will miss 20 games each is a complete guess. Mcgrady vs. Kobe gives Kobe an edge but not a huge one and Yao owns anyone on LA. The Jazz are just a way better team than LA. Better starting 5, better bench, better team unity/chemistry. The 8 teams i really see making the playoffs are..
Seeded by overall record
1. Suns
2. Mavs
3.Spurs
4.Rockets
5.Jazz
6. Denver

tell me why do you think the Lakers cant be 5th seed...I do think they can be the 5th seed....Jazz...tell me honestly who is there bench? Fish Left...D brown left.....and they were all healthy last year....and you cant tell if they would remain healthy all season again...

Rockets are a good team and can be the 4th seed....Denver they are talented but you dont know yet if they can be 5th seed....

I think all 3 teams jazz, denver and LA has the chance of being the 5th seed..if everyone remains healthy..

and other thing is if Kobe is in the Camp...he will give 100%...you dont even have to worry about it.....
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Dengness9
Crazed Bulls fan

Dengness9 has an OK reputation so far

THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME IN LA AGAIN WITH KOBE! IF HE PLAYS HE WILL BE KOBE BUT CHEMISTRY AND TEAM IS F'ED. And if you really wanna say McGrady and Yao are injury prone, so is Lamar Odom!!!! The Lakers are just not as good as you think. "Am I too optimistic?" YES!!!!! to answer your question a 2nd time.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

they have a shot at 5th seed, but I think it's a long shot. More like 7th or 8th is likely.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Lakers_Kobe_Fan

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME IN LA AGAIN WITH KOBE! IF HE PLAYS HE WILL BE KOBE BUT CHEMISTRY AND TEAM IS F'ED. And if you really wanna say McGrady and Yao are injury prone, so is Lamar Odom!!!! The Lakers are just not as good as you think. "Am I too optimistic?" YES!!!!! to answer your question a 2nd time.

you so badly want kobe on the bulls team????? but sorry dude nothing is changin and he will be laker for life.....you coming here...and being negative on every post wont do any good.....People will soon start ignoring you....because u are not debating.....u are just a troll...
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Saying yao "owns anyone in LA" is a complete overstatement.

Kwame Brown seems to limit him every matchup.

Quote:
THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME IN LA AGAIN WITH KOBE! IF HE PLAYS HE WILL BE KOBE BUT CHEMISTRY AND TEAM IS F'ED. And if you really wanna say McGrady and Yao are injury prone, so is Lamar Odom!!!! The Lakers are just not as good as you think.

Luckily there is training camp and pre-season to figure out rotations and chemistry issues. There is no doubt in my mind that lakers still have a shot at winning 50 games this year.

There is a chance Don Nelson doesn't even coach again and even if he did, the warriors have only matched up well and there was the regular season to prove it. We swept the warriors the last 2 years even after they started playing hard ball. One of their best players in Jason Richardson got traded to the bobcats.

Kevin Garnett got traded away from the wolves so they won't have anyone that can put up 25+ ppg against us and they are way too young to win anything. Minnesota's roster is very inexperienced and they will not be a factor.

The seattle sonics were thought to be dangerous since people thought they would have Allen who was shipped off the boston and Rashard who ditched the sonics and signed with orlando in the east like the last 2 paragraphs.

The sacramento kings made one good move and that was drafting a tough minded center but he is still a rookie and as Bibby is aging and losing his step, Kevin Martin will pick up just enough slack to end with the same results as last year, and there is still a HUGE chance artest gets traded to the knicks.

The only teams I see in the west dominating again are :

San Antonio
Dallas
Phoenix
Rockets
Jazz

Dont count on memphis doing anything. All they did was add a rookie guard and the biggest bust in NBA history in Darko. they haven't gotten much better.

The trail blazers might be missing Greg Oden for some time as he will have arthroscopic knee surgery and that takes months to heal, dont count on them making a huge improvement this year until greg develops.

The Denver Nuggets still have a lot to prove as they have 2 players who dominate the ball very much and had almost 0 chemistry last season after the famous Iverson trade

Clippers, no way! Brand is gone

Hornets, might be competetive....Peja is returning.

Amongst all of this crap with other teams....fortunately for us, we are receiving our players whether they were injured or has surgery, we got back a piece of the LA glory days in fisher who is an upgrade over smush and a better floor general.

Chris Mihm was consistent in PPG but not consistent in staying out of foul trouble but he will pour in his 10 ppg when givin the minutes.

Lamar is recovering from three major injuries and he will be ready to go as soon as the season starts.

Basically this post is getting too long so I am just going to end it with, if lakers miss the playoffs, it'll be because Kobe sat out.

The lakers won't miss it.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #9
leopoldotoribio
I airball my layups

leopoldotoribio has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton_04
I honestly believe that last year's team (barring those injuries) was good enough
to finish 5th, with a shot at the 2nd round.

but kobe wants to win a championship!!! not just settling for a 5th seed or a second round finish...
leopoldotoribio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Am I too optimisitic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldotoribio
but kobe wants to win a championship!!! not just settling for a 5th seed or a second round finish...

True!
But just because he's Kobe, does not mean he's Entitled a championship.
There a dozens of great players who want a championship.
And Kobe won't get one if he leaves anyway. If he goes to the Bulls, that team will be gutted out, and Kobe wouldn't be enough to get over Detroit, Miami, Cleveland, or Boston.

Kobe still has a duty as a professional player to honor his contract and honor the loyalty of the fans who stood by him during his rape case.

It's tough to improve a team that has $40 million tied up to 2 players(Kobe and Odom).
Old 09-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldotoribio
they all want to win a championship, it's the players that devote themselves to being the best the can be and the best teamamate they can be that get the closest and get to put that ring on...
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
they have a shot at 5th seed, but I think it's a long shot. More like 7th or 8th is likely.

I would concur with this, unless the Lakers make some tangible moves between now and the trade deadline.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
AceVenturaPetDet
Local High School Star

AceVenturaPetDet has an OK reputation so far

we didn't resign Smush parker so that will impact our wins, instead of 55 wins we'll only win 40 games.
AceVenturaPetDet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 PM   #14
Walton_04
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceVenturaPetDet
we didn't resign Smush parker so that will impact our wins, instead of 55 wins we'll only win 40 games.

Ace Ventura, we still got Sasha! He's take us to the promised land!
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 AM   #15
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Seeded by overall record
1. Suns
2. Mavs
3.Spurs
4.Rockets
5.Jazz
6. Denver

T-Mac has chronic back problems and it's only a matter of time before has his back fused ala Scottie Pippen. No doubt he'll miss at least 20 games.

Golden State will move up as high as the 5th spot...remember, they made the big trade midway in the season and they were just starting to gel at the end.

The new on the rise team will be the New Orleans Hornets, they usually kick our A** and have added new talent, if they are healthy add them to the mix.

We have Kobe so we have a shot at spots 6-8 if he stays healthy and someone Bynum, Turiaf, Evans,Bynum, Fisher, Farmar or Criitt comes up huge this season...if not and Kobe misses 10-15 games we could easily fall to
10th.

Side note.......Portland is going to kick A** in a few years....they'll be a high lottery team again next year and if Oden recovers well, they'll be great!!!!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: