Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 07-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation
Default this article upsets me

Phoenix Suns: The Suns do so many things right that it's tough to criticize them. They remain my favorite team in the league to watch, and with Amare Stoudemire returning, they have a great shot at winning it all next season.

The Suns may regret trading Rajon Rondo to the Celtics.
But after years of being one of the best teams at drafting, I think the Suns screwed up their last three drafts, badly.

In 2004, the Suns traded their pick to the Bulls for Chicago's 2005 first-round pick. It turns out they could've had their choice of Luol Deng or Andre Iguodala. The rationale was that the team needed to save money to make a run at a free agent. They used the said saved money to sign Quentin Richardson.

Richardson was solid, but the Suns almost immediately regretted overpaying him to the tune of $45 million and traded him to the Knicks the next summer.

The Suns used that Bulls 2005 pick (which was much lower than they had originally expected, thanks in part to the Bulls grabbing Deng) to draft Nate Robinson. They then traded Robinson and Richardson to New York for Kurt Thomas. The rationale was that the Suns needed toughness and they needed to save money.

Thomas was solid, but ran out of gas in February and spent the rest of the season on the injured list.

This year, the Suns traded both of their first-round picks (Rajon Rondo and Sergio Rodriguez) for a future first-round pick, and cash. Again the rationale was that the team wanted to save the cap room so that they could spend in free agency. Their primary target, John Salmons, spurned them, and they ended up throwing way too much money at Marcus Banks when Salmons went another way.

So after three drafts, what do the Suns have to show for it all? A broken down Kurt Thomas (with $16 million left on his contract), an overpaid/undersized back-up guard in Banks and the Cavs' first-round pick next season.

Would you trade those assets for a combination of Deng (or Iguodala), Robinson and Rondo? On talent, there's no way. And when you factor in how cheap rookies are compared to free-agent vets, you wouldn't do it for the money, either.

The bottom line is: Part of the reason the Suns are having cap problems is that they aren't totally taking advantage of cheaper rookie contracts. When Leandro Barbosa and Boris Diaw sign their extensions (Barbosa is closer than Diaw right now to inking a deal), the team won't have any young players in the pipe earning cheaper contracts.

The Suns have three potential first-round picks next year. Let's hope they've learned their lesson. Add Deng or Iguodala to that already stacked Suns roster and I think they'd be the favorite to win the West next season.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

pls state why...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

If Amare can play like he did then they are the favourites in the West. At least in my mind they are.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Amare is dead. He got blocked by ****ing Chris Paul :
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:45 PM   #5
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

STATfan32 has decent reputation
Default amare will be amazing

amare will freakin destroy next year, just watch
STATfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
amare will freakin destroy next year, just watch

YES!!!

Quote:

argh shut up... Kobe Fan = Rapist Fan...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Yeah, he's dead cause he got blocked by a small guard who can jump. You're a smart cookie.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:45 AM   #8
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

Default heck yeah

im really starting to like rab and wally world and im really startin to get tired of this lakers-suns feud but at the same time i cant wait to shut them up when we destroy them this season only to hear excuses from them
Old 07-30-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Destroy like in the playoffs? 4 game sweep? Let me guess your response,we still won but you guys were predicting sweep and almost cried until tt hit a 3 to save your pathetic lives.
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:15 AM   #10
STATfan32
I hit open 5-footers

Default dude please stop you hurt my feelings

Quote:
Destroy like in the playoffs? 4 game sweep? Let me guess your response,we still won but you guys were predicting sweep and almost cried until tt hit a 3 to save your pathetic lives.
i could care less if you believe this or not but i made three bets for money when the suns went down 3-1 in that series and BEFORE i knew raja would be suspended.....what sweep we won at least one game before that??? a sweep is 4-0 stupid....and yeah ill admit i almost cried until TT hit that three...but then i celebrated and laughed and went crazy because we won....and then we won the series....so what does all of what you just said have to do with anything? what did you just prove??? and we WILL destroy you this year when my boy amare comes back...go ahead and say it "amare is dead" " he got blocked by chris paul" shut up!!!!! chris paul is amazing props to him!!!! im sure kobe has been blocked by someone smaller than him too....and if he hasnt i still dont care....i know you dont know me and you prolly live in LA and we'll never meet but lets make a little bet...IF the suns and lakers meet again in the playoffs the suns will beat them 4-1, we will also win the series against them during the season....if im wrong ill never post again, if im right you shut youre mouth and tell your laker lovers the same....deal?
Old 07-30-2006, 04:34 AM   #11
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

im a philly fan, but phoenix is a distant 2nd team for me because of amare, and when u guys didnt have him i didnt like u guys. I absolutely hate the lakers. Here's my take on this, phoenix and dallas are the 2 best teams in the west, and san antonio is right there as well. The best case scenario for the lakers is 6th, and i doubt that will happen. As for amare bein done, ur a dumbass kid. If webber can come back at his age and average 20 and 10, im pretty sure amare could do better than that. Who cares if he got blocked by chris paul...thats not the end of the world. And as for the 1 who said that kobe has been blocked by a small guard, well he did, by...ALLEN IVERSON! blocked his ass right at the summit, so hes done right...no more kobe in the nba...wow...i cant believe u think hes done because he got blocked by chris paul. Lakers have no shot at being better than phoenix...period. Hell, i dont even kno if ull be better than philly...
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 AM   #12
sixty
Good High School Starter

sixty has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Is it just me or there are Kobe grupies everwhere?
sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
SRILK
Can barely lace up my sneakers

SRILK has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty
Is it just me or there are Kobe grupies everwhere?

Sure and we all know what happen to these grupies, it finish in a court
SRILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
The Italian
Defense? Whats that?

The Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected posterThe Italian is a pretty well-respected poster

What is with this whole Lakers-Suns fued? pheonix beat LA get over it.
The Italian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:24 PM   #15
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

I didn't read the whole article, but didn't Phoenix also get Steve Nash that summer?
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: