Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
LakerFan4Life07
I hit open layups

Default Trade Lamar Odom for Shaun Marion

I really like Lamar but, that would be a great trade for the lakers. shaun would be perfect for the laker's offense. what do u guys think???
LakerFan4Life07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
apeman222
i know the muffin man.

Default Re: Trade Lamar Odom for Shaun Marion

no.
apeman222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerFan4Life07
I really like Lamar but, that would be a great trade for the lakers. shaun would be perfect for the laker's offense. what do u guys think???

I think it was better when I suggested it in the off-season and then the rumor came out the next day.

Also,

It's Shawn Marion*
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakerFan4Life07

Who on the Lakers would play at the 4 if you traded away LO (who got 14 rebounds last night!)?

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #5
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

No, this helps suns more than us IMO. I really think LO wll thrive in phx and we lose a big. And with Bynum out, what bigs are we eft with. Odoms not a great defender, but marion would struggle more against bigs lik TD, KG, etc. I just dont like the size we lose
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
driecken
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Who on the Lakers would play at the 4 if you traded away LO (who got 14 rebounds last night!)?

Yes but Lamar is so inconsistent its disgusting one night he gets 15 points 10 rebounds, next night 6 points 5 rebounds...

He isnt an asset that the lakers can rely on consistently...trade him
driecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Quote:

Matrix palys the 4 in PHX.
I'm torn on the deal though.
Marion is as good a rebounder as LO, so we'd maintain that strength.
He scores more and more consistently, but would that change if he came here?
In other words, I'd be afraid that LO's scoring would go up in the Suns system and Matrix's would go down in our system.
Matrix is a superior defender, in fact, he's one of the best in the league.
Even though he gives up 2-3 inches to LO (and to most 4's that he guards), he seems to get it done with his superior quickness and athleticism. Imagine Kobe, Ariza and Marion out there, with big Drew in the paint. Those 3 are all a steal just waiting to happen. Steals=fast breaks=dunks!
But LO does all the little things it takes to win.

The problem is that with Drew down, everyone is again expecting LO to step up and score 20, and that's just not his game. You could tell he was pushing last night, and he ended up with a horrible shooting %.
The coaches need to get him in the post, he is very effective down low.
He can either use his size or quickness advantage to get high % shots, or if a shots not there, he's such a great passer. With Drew down, I'd run the O through LO in the post. Remember how effective he's been against PHX in the playoffs? It's because he was in the post, and he was too much for even Marion to handle.

I love Matrix's game, but LO was the glue holding our great play together, but if he is asked to do too much, I imagine he will start to falter, and we'll see more trade LO threads.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
SoCalMike

I dont think Marion plays the 4 in Phoenix, but if he does, thats a mistake. He belongs at the 3. And lets face it, the Suns have done nothing so you can't sell me that "oh its been working for the Suns," because it has not.

People here want to gang up on LO because you dont like his scoring abilities and claim he is inconsistent. He had 14 rebounds and 7 assists last night but that means nothing to you. He is not a scorer and he never has in his career. Get over it. He brings other things to a team to contribute.

He is a very viable third option, does the dirty work and brings DEPTH to the Lakers needed for title contention.

You may not like his salary, but it was the Heat that wrote up that contract, not the Lakers. The Lakers took on his salary to make the Shaq deal work. You know if he re-signs with the Lakers, that it will be for a lower, more modest amount and I bet he will not have a problem with it.

The guy contributes night in and night out, he's good in the locker room, and he works hard. The Lakers need him as part of the TEAM.

Aside from all that i said above, you have CBA issues to deal with if you want to trade or sign or whatever for Marion. Talk about a guy with a huge contract??!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #9
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Quote:
I dont think Marion plays the 4 in Phoenix, but if he does, thats a mistake. He belongs at the 3. And lets face it, the Suns have done nothing so you can't sell me that "oh its been working for the Suns," because it has not.

People here want to gang up on LO because you dont like his scoring abilities and claim he is inconsistent. He had 14 rebounds and 7 assists last night but that means nothing to you. He is not a scorer and he never has in his career. Get over it. He brings other things to a team to contribute.

He is a very viable third option, does the dirty work and brings DEPTH to the Lakers needed for title contention.

You may not like his salary, but it was the Heat that wrote up that contract, not the Lakers. The Lakers took on his salary to make the Shaq deal work. You know if he re-signs with the Lakers, that it will be for a lower, more modest amount and I bet he will not have a problem with it.

The guy contributes night in and night out, he's good in the locker room, and he works hard. The Lakers need him as part of the TEAM.

Aside from all that i said above, you have CBA issues to deal with if you want to trade or sign or whatever for Marion. Talk about a guy with a huge contract??!!!!

Marion does play the 4 in PHX, but you're right. Their weakness is their lack of size.
With Amare at the 5 and Marion at the 4, they don't have interior defense.
They made a huge mistake by trading Thomas, and I think it will become more apparent come playoff time. They will be unable to deal with Duncan and hopefully Bynum inside. When they had Thomas, they could go big with a frontcourt of Marion, Amare and Thomas, and matched up well with SA, or small, with Diaw, Marion and Amare, and match up well with Dallas.
Now they are just like too small.
But Marion does play the 4 and does a great job. Hill is their starting 3 and Diaw the backup.
Great defender and rebounder, even though he's only like 6' 8.
But you know Socal, I've always been a LO defender.
I would not make any moves, except to add PJ or CWebb.
And you're right, Lamar had a bad shooting night but had 14 boards and 7 assists. People just need to realize that he is a facilitator, not a scorer.
Ask him to be something that he is not and he will fall short of peoples expectations.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
Ask him to be something that he is not and he will fall short of peoples expectations.

Bingo! I agree 100%. Why did people not get on Dennis Rodman's case for not scoring? It was because he was part of a team and his role was incredibly valuable. (no i am not comparing LO to Rodman, but i wanted to make a point)

Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 PM   #11
dd24
College superstar

For some reason I don't see the Suns and Lakers trying to help each other by making trades, although at this point Odom has just not fit in here. I would rather see someone else there. If the Bynum injury never happened I would say leave the team alone but since he is out a couple of months I think if there is a time to try to tweak anything it is right now.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
SoCalMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
For some reason I don't see the Suns and Lakers trying to help each other by making trades, although at this point Odom has just not fit in here. I would rather see someone else there. If the Bynum injury never happened I would say leave the team alone but since he is out a couple of months I think if there is a time to try to tweak anything it is right now.

Again, I disagree with this assessment. Its superficial.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #13
dd24
College superstar

How is it any more superficial than people who think that McHale wouldn't make a trade with the Lakers? I can't remember the last time two teams in the same division tied for first place made a trade with each other.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 AM   #14
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

People seem to be overthinking everything a little bit.

The only way now I trade lamar for marion is if we have another decent starting caliber 4 to play with turiaf backing him up (webber is not the answer for that trade to happen either).

People make comments such as "I dont want lamar to go to phoenix, he will thrive there."

Honestly, so what if he does? We dont make trades to try and screw other teams with bad chem. We make trades to make our team the best as it can possibly be.

Now we made a trade for Ariza, a slasher who has proven to be a legitimate defender who is still fitting well without a jump shot.

Marion is basically the same as Ariza but with a jumpshot, and he is a star. These players play the same exact style of basketball and Ariza fits so well.

I predicted that if Marion were a laker he would thrive here. Why is that any worse than keeping an underachiever that injures bynum? (I just had to say that)
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #15
Ryansrams
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:

People here want to gang up on LO because you don't like his scoring abilities and claim he is inconsistent. He had 14 rebounds and 7 assists last night but that means nothing to you. He is not a scorer and he never has in his career. Get over it. He brings other things to a team to contribute.

Didn't you just post a while ago about how Odom is a big disappointment and you don't like his roller coaster play? You also said your coming to the realization that he's not a good fit with the Lakers. Your take on Odom is confusing
Ryansrams is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: