Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 01-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool
Default Kareem and Bynum

I can almost hear Kareem talking with Drew and telling him that he should treat this injury as an opportunity.
An opportunity to get better from the free throw line.
An opportunity to get more fit.
An opportunity to hit the weight room.
An opportunity to study opponents.
An opportunity to improve his diet.
An opportunity to work on the mental part of the game.
An opportunity to come back and finish the season with a flourish.
An opportunity to prove his value at a young age.
An opportunity to work on his ball handling.
Etc.

It is almost like he is getting an extra off season in which to improve. Lets hope Drew views it that way.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
driecken
I airball my layups

driecken has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kareem and Bynum

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
I can almost hear Kareem talking with Drew and telling him that he should treat this injury as an opportunity.
Etc.

It is almost like he is getting an extra off season in which to improve. Lets hope Drew views it that way.

^^ Very good point/points, I agree.
driecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
and1
High School Varsity 6th Man

and1 has decent reputationand1 has decent reputation

i havent thought of that yet, but i think the downside is still bigger... because the PT he misses now, is more important than anything you said
and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by and1
i havent thought of that yet, but i think the downside is still bigger... because the PT he misses now, is more important than anything you said
Of course, but the idea is for Andrew to get something positive out of this 8 weeks out of the lineup. If he can focus on the parts of the game that do not require him to jump, then he can elevate his whole game when he comes back.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by vert48
Etc.

I agree with you 100%. The game of basketball is about 50% physical and 50% mental. This is an opportunity for him to learn the strengths and weaknesses of centers he will be facing come playoff time, as well as just to study film, and whatever else will prepare him mentally to be a better player. Also, this will just be a time for overall maturing for him. There is a silver lining here.

I also think that this is an opportunity to develop the rest of the teams frontcourt players, and they are forced to add that final piece to the puzzle that will make them truly great. I suggested in a posted earlier in the season that I thought Chris Webber would be the perfect addition to the team. And it seems the Lakers front office agrees. He brings experience (which means he can mentor Brynum, Brown, and Turiaf), toughness, good passing, and at this point in his life, another battle-tested veteran to this team. Plus, at this stage in his career I know he is hungrier than ever for a championship.

So, in the long run, this period without Bynum will prove to be the best thing for him, and our team.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: