Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 05-02-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Round 2: Magic at Pistons, Game 1, Saturday, 7:30 ET

vs.

Detroit Pistons (59-23) vs. Orlando Magic (52-30)

vs

Game 1 - Saturday 7:30 EST @ Detroit
Game 2 - TBD
Game 3 - TBD
Game 4 - TBD
Game 5 - TBD
Game 6 - TBD
Game 7 - TBD

REGULAR SEASON SERIES

Tied 2-2

Nov. 2: Pistons 116 @ Orlando 92
Jan. 21: Pistons 100 @ Orlando 102
Jan. 25: Orlando 93 @ Pistons 101
Feb. 19: Orlando 103 @ Pistons 85

Magic at Pistons. Rematch of last years first round, but this year the Magic are stronger, while Detroit has improved their bench play.

Who you got in the series, who you got in game 1?
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
embersyc
Lurker

Default Re: Round 2: Magic at Pistons, Game 1, Saturday, 7:30 ET

Hopefully Pistons stay focused and handle business in game 1.

I say Pistons in 6, but about game 1 no idea.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
TruthKGRay3412
HANNN

This will be a tough match-up for the Pistons,the Magic are a very talented team,hungry to prove the critics wrong in the play-offs.Not to mention they have a beast at C who is a 20-20 guy on any given night.If the Pistons can control the perimeter defense I think they take the series in 6.
TruthKGRay3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

These last couple philly games have woken detroit up. I dont expect them to sleepwalk into these games like they did against philly.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
3stat2
Local High School Star

I think we might just see a bit of hack-a-Howard in this one, after everyone saw it's use to halt momentum in Suns-Spurs. Even without that, I believe the Pistons will come out on top with their solid experience and teamwork. Also, their bench really impresses me.

But the Magic definitely have a shot - Dwight is playing out of his mind. I read a quote from Stan Van Gundy a few days ago saying that Dwight usually jokes around and he has to get him to put on a serious face before games - but Dwight was dead serious the whole time for the Raptors-Magic series.

It's going to be an interesting matchup for sure, looking forward to it.
3stat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #6
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Projected Score: Pistons 97-76 Magic with Dwight Howard foul out mid in the 4th quarter.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stat2
I think we might just see a bit of hack-a-Howard in this one…

Count on it.
Detroit employed this unpopular tactic last year during the sweep.

The Magic have improved and will be far mor competitive this series. They have added Lewis and Hedo has vastly improved.

Magic frontcourt >> Pistons frontcourt

Detroit will need to exploit the guard match up. This is their key to success in this series. Billups cannot slack off against Nelson like he did against Miller or it will be anthor LONG series…

This will be a tough series but so long as the Pistons stay aggressive and play 48 minute basketball, they should be able to be successful…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #8
Dash
Great young streetballer

Miami in 2006.

Cleveland in 2007.

It's Orlando's turn in 2008.
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
e-Thugstylez
I Gave You Power

I really don't want to take anything away from the 76ers, but Detroit better wake up if they wish to keep advancing. The Pistons played very lackluster in the first round, assuming Philly would just roll over on them. I used to think the Pistons had more heart than any other team year-after-year, but I'm not so sure anymore.

In the next few years, the East will be on the rise. If Detroit wants to remain an Eastern powerhouse, they'll need to find a spark. There's no better time than right now in the midst of the post season.

Home court advantage isn't as strong for the Pistons as it used to be. The Magic seem to be playing solid on the road right now, so this should be a concern if you're a Pistons fan. They'll have a difficult time keeping Howard in check all four quarters.

I'm going to say whoever wins Game 1 of this series will win the series in 6 or 7 games. Honestly, I believe it could go either way. Orlando is young and hungry, while Detroit seems to be playing NBA grandpa right now. I'll say the Magic in 7.
e-Thugstylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Thugstylez
I'm going to say whoever wins Game 1 of this series will win the series in 6 or 7 games. Honestly, I believe it could go either way. Orlando is young and hungry, while Detroit seems to be playing NBA grandpa right now. I'll say the Magic in 7.

i don't get how you can call detroit NBA grandpas when they use their bench as much as any team and have prospects like stuckey, aflallo, maxiell, amir johnson in the rotation.

i think the aquisition of Theo Ratliff will prove very useful for the Pistons this round. he's a big body off the bench who can block shots and play tough D on Howard. should help keep sheed out of foul trouble.

I just think Detroit is too deep to lose this series. The Magic's frontcourt starters carry the team but I think a rotation of Dyess/Sheed/Maxiell/Ratliff is better. Chauncey has a mismatch against Jameer Nelson and so does Stuckey. Should be a big series for the guards of Detroit. The Magic really have no bench so even if we see 20/20 games from Howard I'll take the Pistons in 6 games.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #11
kidachi

Detroit? NBA grandpa? gtfo
Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #12
flintstone
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-Thugstylez
I really don't want to take anything away from the 76ers, but Detroit better wake up if they wish to keep advancing. The Pistons played very lackluster in the first round, assuming Philly would just roll over on them. I used to think the Pistons had more heart than any other team year-after-year, but I'm not so sure anymore.

In the next few years, the East will be on the rise. If Detroit wants to remain an Eastern powerhouse, they'll need to find a spark. There's no better time than right now in the midst of the post season.

Home court advantage isn't as strong for the Pistons as it used to be. The Magic seem to be playing solid on the road right now, so this should be a concern if you're a Pistons fan. They'll have a difficult time keeping Howard in check all four quarters.

HeHe...did somebody just wake you up from a long sleep Rip?

You should have watched the games during the year, and the Detroit/Philly series, after game three?

1. Orlando has been good on the road all year?
2. Detroit has not played lackluster after the 3rd game of the series?
3. The Pistons have a great home record this year?
4. They don't need to keep Howard in check for 4 quaters...only slow him down a little. He is not the Orlando key, in this series...turkey-glue is.

Pistons in 7
flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by final.wrath
i don't get how you can call detroit NBA grandpas when they use their bench as much as any team and have prospects like stuckey, aflallo, maxiell, amir johnson in the rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidachi
Detroit? NBA grandpa? gtfo

They haters are coming out guys.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
final.wrath
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
They haters are coming out guys.

i don't think its hate so much as ignorance. unless u watched the pistons regularly you might not be aware of the youth movement joe dumars is orchestrating. he's doing a great job of building for the future while keeping us in championship contention. recognizing potential in players like stuckey, aflallo, maxiell, amir johnson and surrounding them with veteran mentors seems to be a knack for joe d. the guy always seems to pick out steals in the late first and early second rounds. also a great move this season to dump Nazr Mohammed's contract and pick up Walter Herrman who could make the rotation next year or be used as trade bait.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
sixerfan82
College star

Well, not that i dislike the pistons, but i'm a jameer nelson fan. Hopefully the magic can pull it out in 6 or 7, but they are going to need to win game 1 to do that

magic in 7 is my prediction
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: