Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-06-2008, 10:51 PM   #1
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

HoopWiz2008 has an OK reputation so far
Default 2008 Draft Sleepers

Here are a few of my picks for sleepers in this year's draft.

Earl Clark - 6'8 SF Louisville - Projected: Late 1st Round

Clark's game reminds me of Caron Butler or a young Paul Pierce. He's an excellent athlete that Rick Pitino calls NBA ready. He's a great rebounder from the small forward spot and a pretty good ball handler. Has solid vision and passing ability as well. Could be the steal of the draft if he falls into the 20s.

Lester Hudson - 6'3 PG/SG University of Tennesse-Martin - Projected: Second Round

Playing at a small school makes him more obscure than some bigger names, but the kid can score. He scored 35 points and got 10 boards against Rose and Memphis in November but they did get blown out. For the season, he averaged 25.7 points, 4.5 assists, and 7.8 boards. Could be a poor man's Baron Davis in the league.

Goran Dragic - 6'4 PG Slovenia - Projected: Mid Second Round

Dragic can straight out attack the rim. Can go either direction with this strong hand being his left. A creative finisher and decent passer. Pretty good quickness and athleticism. Will be the steal of the second round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gbhG0zA5k

Joe Ingles - 6'8 SF South Dragons Australia - Projected: Late Second Round

"Jingles" has great potential. He's athletic, can handle, and shoot the ball well. A lefty with a nice mid-range shot. Has some growing to do, but could be the pick of the second round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7M0rdK6Nc
HoopWiz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #2
CaptainOwlClub
Great young streetballer

CaptainOwlClub has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: 2008 Draft Sleepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopWiz2008

Lester Hudson - 6'3 PG/SG University of Tennesse-Martin - Projected: Second Round

Dragic can straight out attack the rim. Can go either direction with this strong hand being his left. A creative finisher and decent passer. Pretty good quickness and athleticism. Will be the steal of the second round.

good post- i am very hopefull that the nuggets find their point gaurd of the future in this years draft

i am very intruiged by Dragic as a point gaurd (im not sure why)- you sound very confident in him- do you see him as a starting point in the nba down the road?

also i have not seen lester hudson play, but he must be good as there seems to be alot of talk about him- was he a college combo gaurd or do you see him as a combo gaurd at the nba level- basically can he be the point im hoping for? or is he a barbosa or ben g type

good picks with your others also

what are we considering sleepers? i maybe include players selected in the 20's- of course i also believe that if j bayless is a top 3 pick than russel westbrook lasting past 10 would count as a sleeper to me

my sleepers possibly 20 and on are

courtney lee- on black and white film if you couldnt tell the difference between usc maroon and red i believe alot of people couldnt notice the difference between lee and oj mayo- i was and still am a huge rodney stuckey believer and i wouldnt put lee quite with stuckey, but very close- i see lee as a starting 2 gaurd for a long while- i see him going as early as 15-17 and would be shocked to see him as a second rounder,but if he was he would be a huge steal

bill walker- not alot of people are giving the guy any credit for coming off a knee injury- a big IF but if this guys athletisism returns to pre injury form this guy is a bigtime athlete and being not as explosive as he was used to maybe helped develop other parts of his game

also his game my not be pretty, but joey dorsey will be an effective player in the nba from day 1- lots of stat geeks cry about the possbility of dorsey as a first rounder- but the reality is that he could help alot of teams right now

i think he's slotted about right but i like jajaun smith of tennesse and i really think people are undervaluing demarcus nelson of duke - possibly because of dukes bush leauge roster of 4 gaurds at a time open gym like team- nelson was forced into playing foreward alot but has the body and athletisism to be a factor at point gaued in the nba if he is able to make the adjustment
CaptainOwlClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

I feel that during individual workouts, that Dragic will impress enough teams that he maybe an early 2nd rounder or even a late first round. Its always hard to gauge international talent, especially point guards. Tony Parker didn't go until the end of the first round. Goran can start for a number of teams since many lack a good point guard.

Hudson actually has more point guard skills than some would give him credit for because of his shoot first mentality. He's more of a Baron Davis, Steve Francis, or Stephon Marbury type point than he is a Kidd or Nash.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
monthh
Local High School Star

monthh has an OK reputation so far

Great topic.

My sleepers are:

Senior:
Shan Foster-He needs to add some weight, but at 6-6 and a pretty good athlete he has the physical tools to be a good player. The other big knock on him is that when he gets the ball he doesn't really look for his teammates. With that said, he is a great outside shooter, can score anywhere on the court, and plays pretty good defense. I think an x-factor for him is that he is a good leader and really carried Vandy at times. Even though he is a Senior, I think with some good coaching he could really improve and you don't see that in a lot of guys like that. In the 2nd round I think he will be a good role player for someone. He would be a great pick for San Antonio at 47.

Junior:
Chris Douglas-Roberts-I just don't understand why this guy can't seem to move up the draft boards. He is a 6-7 guard, a good athlete, and a good outside shooter. Isn't this what teams always look for in a great prospect? I think he is a better passer and playmaker than people give him credit for. I would not be affraid to give him the ball right from the first day in the NBA. The only issue I really see is that he needs to bulk up a bit and work on his D. I think he would be a nice pick for Cleveland at 19.

Sophomore:
Ryan Anderson-This is a guy I understand the draft position of, but I think he will prove to be better than that. The bad things are of course the fact that he is slow and doesn't play much defense. However, at 6-10 he is a very effective scorer. He has a great outside shot, and has some good post moves as well. He is a good rebounder, play tough, and just yesterday turned 20. He really reminds me of those good seniors that just don't have the potential, and I think that hurts his draft stock, but he is so young and will improve hard work. I think he would be a good pick for Memphis at 28.

Freshman:
Kosta Koufus-This was a close pick over JJ Hickson, but Koufus is what every NBA team needs. Team with a high powered offense are starting to take control of the NBA and having a big man that can shoot is something that gives you a good matchup advantage over the other team. Koufus may not blow you away, but when you actually break down his game, for a freshman he is so advanced and does so many things well. At 7-1 he can take you down low and score on you. He can also take you outside and score on you. He is pretty good on defense and a decent rebounder despite not having NBA strength yet. When he gets put on an NBA workout program and just continues to work on his game, he is going to be a starting center for years. I think he would be perfect for Golden State at 14.

International:
Nicolas Batum-I just love this kid. I know I talked about him being the best player in this draft before and always try to talk him up, but I just think he has that talent to be a star player. He has the size, athletic ability, and potential to be on the same level as Manu, Gasol, or even Dirk when you compare him to other international players. I just see a guy who is going to be a T-Mac, Pierce, Butler kind of steal late in the lottery. I think he would do well with New Jersey at 10.
monthh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #5
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Junior:
Chris Douglas-Roberts-I just don't understand why this guy can't seem to move up the draft boards. He is a 6-7 guard, a good athlete, and a good outside shooter. Isn't this what teams always look for in a great prospect? I think he is a better passer and playmaker than people give him credit for. I would not be affraid to give him the ball right from the first day in the NBA. The only issue I really see is that he needs to bulk up a bit and work on his D. I think he would be a nice pick for Cleveland at 19.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the draft and especially the lottery, alot of teams are looking for that young potential and the majority of the lottery picks are either freshman or sophomores. As a junior, CDR hasn't gotten much stronger so there are some questions on how strong he can become, especially if he plays the 3. Thats not to say that he won't become a great NBA player, but he has less upside than the underclassmen.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
monthh
Local High School Star

And that of course is why teams in the lottery stay in the lottery and teams that make the playoffs stay in the playoffs. I am hoping the Rockets can land Douglas-Roberts. And I don't have any doubt that with an NBA training program he can get stronger. I see huge upside, but that is just me.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #7
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh

Junior:

Freshman-- 1.5 apg, 2.0 turnovers per game, .75 assist-turnover ratio
Sophomore-- 1.7 apg, 1.9 turnovers per game, .92 assist-turnover ratio
Junior-- 1.8 apg, 2.1 turnovers per game, .86 assist-turnover ratio

THATS why teams would be afraid to give him the ball in the nba
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #8
b.jerk
High School JV MVP

b.jerk has an OK reputation so far

Nicolas Batum is already a bust in the euroleague
b.jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #9
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

I really like what Kyle Weaver from Washington State has to offer - I think he'll be a combo guard in the league - lot of folks outside of the PNW don't realize just how much he handled the ball for the Cougars - he's also long and PLAYS long on the defensive end. Pretty creative on his drives as well.
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
yourhero
I brick open layups

yourhero has an OK reputation so far

I agree with how you feel on Earl Clark, I think hes going to be a great player but, fortunately for my Louisville Cards he changed his mind and is comin back next year. On the other hand Caracter changed his mind too but Rick wouldnt let him back.
yourhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 AM   #11
monthh
Local High School Star

Batum has not played well, but I think the talent is there. I think he will be fine.

Douglas-Roberts has been asked to be the scorer for Memphis during his career. With that in mind, those numbers aren't that bad. Beasley had 2.9 a game. Gordon had 3.9. Mayo had 3.5. Outside of PG those are the guys that score as well as Douglas-Roberts. Even Joe Alexander had 2.2TO's a game. 2.1TO's is not all that bad. 1.8ast isn't good, but he isn't asked to pass. Just watching him play he is actaully pretty good with the ball, but of course he is going to turn the ball over. He does it less than other top prospects. And of course you won't get assists if you are told to score.

I like Kyle Weaver a lot as well. I don't think he will be a big impact guy in the NBA, but a solid player. I think a Shane Battier guard would be a good comparison. He would be my #2 Senior steal behind Foster, but really only because Foster will probably go much lower.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #12
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

Ewing - For someone his age, he's still quite raw, but you can see all the elements of a good NBA player. Good understanding of the game, court vision, great athletism, pretty good looking shot, quick first step. He just need to become a better ballhandler and in general become a more complete player. In Indiana he simply didn't play enough and in Georgetown the system didn't allow him to develop as much as he maybe could have in some other programs. I wouldn't actually be surprised if someone took him in late first round.

Arthur - He's much better than people seems to think. If he played in any other program his stats would have been much better. He is a great team player but has also showed, occasionally, that he can dominate. I think it's ridiculous he's not in every mock lottery.

Nelson - A great defender and has enough offensive tools too. A bit short (long arms though) for a sg, but has the quickness and strenght to hold his own against pros.
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:50 AM   #13
disco
Great young streetballer

disco has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopWiz2008
Here are a few of my picks for sleepers in this year's draft.

Earl Clark - 6'8 SF Louisville - Projected: Late 1st Round

Clark's game reminds me of Caron Butler or a young Paul Pierce. He's an excellent athlete that Rick Pitino calls NBA ready. He's a great rebounder from the small forward spot and a pretty good ball handler. Has solid vision and passing ability as well. Could be the steal of the draft if he falls into the 20s.

Playing at a small school makes him more obscure than some bigger names, but the kid can score. He scored 35 points and got 10 boards against Rose and Memphis in November but they did get blown out. For the season, he averaged 25.7 points, 4.5 assists, and 7.8 boards. Could be a poor man's Baron Davis in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gbhG0zA5k

Joe Ingles - 6'8 SF South Dragons Australia - Projected: Late Second Round

"Jingles" has great potential. He's athletic, can handle, and shoot the ball well. A lefty with a nice mid-range shot. Has some growing to do, but could be the pick of the second round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7M0rdK6Nc

Isn't Clarke returning to Louisville?
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:50 PM   #14
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Does anyone know any details on the italian kid. He looks good in the games that I watched. But I dont really know much on him. Daniel Gillarni I think.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
Qlippers
Decent playground baller

Qlippers has an OK reputation so far

The opinion on Danilo is far and wide. He either remembers ppl of Toni Kucoc, Bargani or A combination of both players. He can shoot, but he's not a great 3pt shooter. He can dribble, post up and good vision. He's not laterally quick on D but he plays smart D.

As for my sleeper, it's Courtney Lee. He's just a scorer.
Qlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: