Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 05-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default What causes game freezes?

My GTA4 is doing that now when i play online. Just started...it'll just freeze/lock up. It also did it on the game...i run outside my mansion then freeze. Checked my disc, no scratches. Maybe it happens from time to time?

Guess I'll give the system a rest then try later.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Default Re: What causes game freezes?

Are you playing on 360 or PS3?

Does it happen with other games? GTA IV on PS3 is loaded with issues supposedly…

If your playing on 360 and it is occurring in other games, then its likely the DVD drive… if its just Grand Theft Auto, then its possible a glitch in the game? I haven't played too much of it as I been busy finishing some other games…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Its just with GTA4...no other games. It'll just freeze after a few minutes of playing. Gotta restart the whole damn console. Its beyond annoying. I thought maybe it was the multiplayer/xbox live causing the problem. But i tried to play the regular game and it froze as well.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Its just with GTA4...no other games. It'll just freeze after a few minutes of playing. Gotta restart the whole damn console. Its beyond annoying. I thought maybe it was the multiplayer/xbox live causing the problem. But i tried to play the regular game and it froze as well.

If its happening all the time in the same spot, it usually means the disc is bad.

I'm assuming you're already into the game, and you saw my post about the PS3 freezing on startup with GTA4? The answer was to re-install the game on your memory card, and Sony claims that will fix it.

If you've already been able to start the game and play, I have to assume the disc is bad, based on the fact that it always happens in the same spot.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
If its happening all the time in the same spot, it usually means the disc is bad.

I'm assuming you're already into the game, and you saw my post about the PS3 freezing on startup with GTA4? The answer was to re-install the game on your memory card, and Sony claims that will fix it.

If you've already been able to start the game and play, I have to assume the disc is bad, based on the fact that it always happens in the same spot.

Mathius

I'm at 91%, 36 out of 50 accomplishments and a level 4 in multiplayer. It doesnt happen in the same spot rather it just happens. One time i left my mansion, stood on the street and it froze. I started the console over, this time i was able to call a cab, drive to strip club. I go to run and freeze. I turn the console off and on, try multiplayer instead of the actual game. During the game it freezes like 3mins into it. Its frustrating and annoying. Its not the system because I just played other games...nba2k8 quick game and online (kicked this guys ass by 20, kapono had 34 with 7 3pters). I mean the game is running as I type fine. But GTA4? I'm afraid of putting it in only to have the friggin freeze.

Maybe its the game? I goggled and noticed in other forums similar complains not just with ps3 but 360 users like me as well. I really dont feel like the hassel of sending it back to get a new one. Wish this happened Friday that way atleast if i sent it out I'd get it early next week (tuesday/wed).

How do i restall the game on my memory card? Or is that ps3? I'm clueless. Relatively new with the machine (only had it for a month).
Old 05-25-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
T.O.RAPS
Raptors|FC Barcelona

This just happened to me yesterday, was playing GTA4 and froze on me, restarted fine for about 10mins and froze again. So i unplugged everything left it for like 3 hours came back turned it on and froze almost immediatly, tried this like 4times then the ****ing 3 red lights came on!! So now i gotta wait for the shipping box to come and send that **** in, lol but at least they gave me 1month free of xbox live gold.

But also might wanna read this, clearing all the cache and cookies might help:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907586
T.O.RAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I just moved my system from the flat position to the vertical one and put a fan on. Its working fine. GTA$, seems to take a lot out of the system i think.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I'm at 91%, 36 out of 50 accomplishments and a level 4 in multiplayer. It doesnt happen in the same spot rather it just happens. One time i left my mansion, stood on the street and it froze. I started the console over, this time i was able to call a cab, drive to strip club. I go to run and freeze. I turn the console off and on, try multiplayer instead of the actual game. During the game it freezes like 3mins into it. Its frustrating and annoying. Its not the system because I just played other games...nba2k8 quick game and online (kicked this guys ass by 20, kapono had 34 with 7 3pters). I mean the game is running as I type fine. But GTA4? I'm afraid of putting it in only to have the friggin freeze.

Maybe its the game? I goggled and noticed in other forums similar complains not just with ps3 but 360 users like me as well. I really dont feel like the hassel of sending it back to get a new one. Wish this happened Friday that way atleast if i sent it out I'd get it early next week (tuesday/wed).

How do i restall the game on my memory card? Or is that ps3? I'm clueless. Relatively new with the machine (only had it for a month).

The bug I was talking about where you reinstall it is PS3 related. I guess Rockstar was aware of the problem and made some kind of pr announcement on it. Basically the game installs some basic information on your HD or memory card, and for some reason in some cases it isn't correct and causes the game to freeze. You have to clear the installation from the HD/Memory card, and then start over. Sorry I can't be more clear than that, but I don't have a PS3, so I'm not 100% sure how it works.

I was under the impression though that this glitch was something that happened from the get-go. If you're at 90 some percent, it's probably not the same glitch.

I know my PS2 started acting up lately when I had it in the vertical position. I bought it like a year after they came out (when the first price drops happened), so it's really really quite old, and it was making some horrible grinding noises. I turned it to the horizontal position and it is working fine now.

I probably should get another one, I don't know how much life is left in this one, but it's not a priority and money is a little tight right now. I took it apart and cleaned it last year, so I would hope that isn't an issue.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: