Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Arrow Toronto Raptors Off Season Article

Raptors Off Season By Maniak
Another first round exit goes by for the Toronto Raptors. This year we fell short to the Magic, and last year it was the Nets. So what exactly is the problem? Why can’t we make it to the NBA Finals?!?!?!? Simple, we lack good players in the paint and a lot of players will just chuck 3’s. Now we do have Primoz Brezec who is pretty solid in the paint, but Sam didn’t give him any minutes in the 07-08 season, that of course can change come 08-09 season, but the chances really aren’t too high seeing as he is a free agent and is doubtful to be signed back.

Now, let’s look at our starting lineup.

PG: Jose Calderon
SG: Anthony Parker
SF: Jamario Moon
PF: Chris Bosh
C: Andrea Bargnani

Off the bench you have forwards and centers that rely on jumpers and guards who mainly shoot 3’s and barely anything else.

So now I will say what should be done in the off season.

First is the draft. I looked at all the mock sites and this is how many times a certain player was chosen

Brandon Rush-1 (6-7 Guard)

Donte Green-2 (6-10 Forward)

Robin Lopez-1 (7 foot Center/Forward)

DeAndre Jordan-1 (7 foot center)

Kosta Koufos-3 (7-1 center)

Nicolas Batum-1 (6-8 SF)

Joe Alexander-1 (6-8 Forward)

Javal McGee-1 (7 foot center)

Now, looking at this you can see 1 decently sized guard, and the rest are forwards and centers. Now, I will focus on the big men of it. I haven’t watched much college ball to give an opinion on all these players, but I know they are great paint players to accompany CB4 in the paint. As for Rush, he is a good scorer who is capable to design a play for himself and I’m sure he’d fit in with Bosh. So all of these guys are legit for us.

Free Agents

Note that the majority of these free agents have no shot at signing with the Raptors, due to cap space reasons, but for the sake of entertainment (with sign-and-trades, anything can happen!) let's consider the following

Baron Davis-A low chance, but if we got him he also helps our scoring a lot, and he is a pretty sick passer. ETO option also.

Shawn Marion-Yet another player with an ETO. Also if we thought of him, he likes his contracts big, something Colangelo might not want. Good player though.

Jannero Pargo-Players option here. He is a pretty nice shooter and fared well as a backup with Paul, I think he could be another nice addition to our beastly amount of guards.

Gordan Giricek-Legit scorer with potential. Like our entire backcourt, has a good 3, may not want because we already are loaded on 3 point shooters.

Ron Artest-Really good SF and would help us a lot to put Moon down on the bench. He is a good scorer and can play D, can sometimes have “Rasheeed Wallace moments.” Although I think a lot of teams are chasing after him, so chances can be slim.

Brent Barry-Insanely good defensive player to help us in that empty hole. He has a players option, but personally he is one of the guys I’d go for straight on for the raps.

Antawan Jamison-Has a mouth, but he can be quite decent. Although, I find he likes it in Washington, he does have potential to come over, how he would fit in our system is unknown(but I guess its like that for all of the players)

Gilbert Arenas-I would break out in tears if the raps landed Gilbert, he is young with a giant amount of potential, but with giant potential comes a giant salary.

This free agent market is loaded, and I’d like to see at least 2 players from it to the Raptors.

Now, trades.

It’s pretty noticeable that TJ Ford or Jose Calderon is going to be traded. I’d also like to see Humphries and maybe 2 of our guards, you can include Jason Kapono into that mix.

To receive It’d be nice to have one more good paint player.

That’s it, my opinion on what should be done for the Toronto Raptors off season.

Last edited by insidehoops : 06-21-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Attila
Local High School Star

Default Re: Toronto Raptors Off Season Article

Nice read.
Attila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Maniak

any wrong facts or ways i could improve let me know...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
B-Mac
T-Mac + B-Diddy= B-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak

Jamison is not a guard???
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Maniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Mac
Jamison is not a guard???

hehehe....riiiiighhhttttt............
Old 06-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

If this is meant to be a serious article then avoid using "we" while writing, it makes it seem as if you are affiliated with the team somehow. If this was posted somewhere else, such as the front page of ISH, and someone was reading the article, it could cause confusion.

It wasn't a bad article though.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
B-Mac
T-Mac + B-Diddy= B-Mac

How much cap space does Raptors have???

and is that amout enough to sign B-Diddy???
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Maniak

1)I know the cap space is low, but these are moves we could look into doing by unloading some of the garbage.

2)I know i used we alot, but its a habit when i talk about a basketball team im a large fan of i tend to use the word we....
Old 06-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
Maniak

and for Davis I put another low chance, which will be changed to a low chance, but yeah,

so also i was saying its a low chance to get him, but itd be sick

note i also put in shawn marion in there...
Old 06-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #10
otmtheshank
Good High School Starter

Artest would be an upgrade, but I don't know if the reward outweighs his salary/injury history/personal problems. If the Raptors can get him cheap, then it'd be a nice addition.

I think Davis/Gilbert are out of the question for the Raptors; I doubt they'd want to play in Toronto, even if Gilbert gets lucky on a coin toss. I also don't really see Gilbert as having much potential. Statistically, it's going to be tough for him to top the 30ppg season he had in 07, although he certainly has a lot of room for improvement in many areas(obviously defense, offensive movement, etc). Plus, Gilbert and Jose would be the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA by a significant margin.

If the Raptors can somehow draft either Batum or Alexander, and trade Ford or Calderon for a nice center, then I may have to start rooting for the Raptors again with the way the Knicks are floundering. Anyway, what's Ford's value at the moment?
otmtheshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

Quote:
2)I know i used we alot, but its a habit when i talk about a basketball team im a large fan of i tend to use the word we....
It's a habit of mine as well. It's probably a habit of many other people as well. But if you're writing an article, it's best to stay away from using "we", unless you are actually affiliated with whatever you are talking about.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:08 PM   #12
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

The Toronto Raptors have no cap space, so about half of those free agent options are not options at all.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
veeceeonefive
Saw a basketball once

My thoughts:

1) The point: Colangelo probably wouldn't pursue Gilbert Arenas or Baron Davis, even were they obtainable. While they are both dynamic scorers, they dominate the ball, and tend to look to create their own opportunities at the expense of team offense. This runs contrary to the everyone-contributes culture which has been implemented by the Raptors, and is further evidenced by the ongoing negotiations with Jose Calderon. The Raps currently have too much talent concentrated at the point, so look for TJ Ford to be shopped and shipped before training camp. The Raps will look to acquire an inexpensive, defensive minded veteran to plug the gap. Can Pargo play D? All I remember from his Raptor days is his crossover.

2) Shooting guard: The Raptors will look to maintain status quo at the two. Anthony Parker is efficient on offense and capable on defense. That said, the team needs him to participate more often on the offensive end. The Raptors are weakened by the fact that their second most potent scorer rarely exceeds 10 shots per game. Delfino is a valuable and inexpensive backup, look for Colangelo to retain his services at a reasonable price. Brent Barry would be nice to have, but he'll likely sign with a contender

3) Small forward: Colangelo seems dedicated to assembling a team which exhibits both character and talent, therefore he's unlikely to gamble away his carefully constructed chemistry on Ron Artest. Ditto Shawn Marion. Jamario Moon is developing into a respectable two-way player who can crash the glass, while Jason Kapono offers scoring punch off the bench. The Raps are decently situated at the three, although it must be mentioned that if Joey Graham isn't an NBA player yet, he never will be.

4) Power forward: Playing Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani alongside one another is not optimal. Bargnani is too much of a perimeter player, which allows defenses to collapse on Bosh when he goes to work inside. The Raps would be better served with Bargnani providing scoring off the bench at the four. Humphries has occasionally produced in limited minutes, and is a worthy player if he can be had cheap.

5) Centre: This is the only real problem for the Raptors. Not to say that they're perfect at every other position, just that this is their most glaring flaw. Wanted: a 7-footer who can defend the post, rebound, score a few inside, and run the floor faster than plodding Rasho Nesterovic. Paging Emeka Okafor (et al). Almost impossible to obtain. In fact, unobtainable. If Colangelo can pull a rabbit out of the hat, the Raps will plug the gaps with Rasho/Bargnani, and escape the first round.
veeceeonefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Jalen5
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Note that the majority of these free agents have no shot at signing with the Raptors, due to cap space reasons, but for the sake of entertainment (with sign-and-trades, anything can happen!) let's consider the following

Baron Davis-A low chance, but if we got him he also helps our scoring a lot, and he is a pretty sick passer. ETO option also.

Shawn Marion-Yet another player with an ETO. Also if we thought of him, he likes his contracts big, something Colangelo might not want. Good player though.

Jannero Pargo-Players option here. He is a pretty nice shooter and fared well as a backup with Paul, I think he could be another nice addition to our beastly amount of guards.

Gordan Giricek-Legit scorer with potential. Like our entire backcourt, has a good 3, may not want because we already are loaded on 3 point shooters.

Ron Artest-Really good SF and would help us a lot to put Moon down on the bench. He is a good scorer and can play D, can sometimes have Rasheeed Wallace moments. Although I think a lot of teams are chasing after him, so chances can be slim.

Brent Barry-Insanely good defensive player to help us in that empty hole. He has a players option, but personally he is one of the guys Id go for straight on for the raps.

Antawan Jamison-Has a mouth, but he can be quite decent. Although, I find he likes it in Washington, he does have potential to come over, how he would fit in our system is unknown(but I guess its like that for all of the players)

Gilbert Arenas-I would break out in tears if the raps landed Gilbert, he is young with a giant amount of potential, but with giant potential comes a giant salary.

This free agent market is loaded, and Id like to see at least 2 players from it to the Raptors.

Now, trades.

Its pretty noticeable that TJ Ford or Jose Calderon is going to be traded. Id also like to see Humphries and maybe 2 of our guards, you can include Jason Kapono into that mix.

To receive Itd be nice to have one more good paint player.

As a raptor fan since 95, I cannot see us getting any of the FA above. Those are everyteam's obvious choices. Ron Artist will be 1 I would not want as a raptor uniform.

On the trade side, BC said Jose is untouchable and yet no one has argue about that. Jose came out a month ago saying he wants to start and I dont blame him. With Ryoko Ukic being a FA i think this year, he's rumor to be playing for the raptors this year after being drafted 2nd round during Rob Babcock's term.

TJ ford is being shop and he is the only 1 noticeable on the roster now that Garbo got brought out.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Quote:

Its good but i don't like how you say 'We' and 'us' eg how we can improve. Probably be better if you referred to them as the Raptors/Craptors/Toronto ect.

Particularly if this is intended to be an objective article.

OH, I see someone already was onto this.
Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: