Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-27-2008, 06:48 AM   #1
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Arrow Bobcats in trouble? - On draftnight Jordan gambled, and lost

Draft Night Gamble Doesn't Pay Off
by Kevin Davis

Watching the draft last night I feel like a lot of teams made some crazy decisions, but as a Charlotte fan I feel like we had the worst. MJ and Larry Brown and anyone else who is in charge of drafting or us screwed us. Our biggest need coming in to the draft was a center, and at pick #9 the best player available was a center, so how do we walk out of draft with a point guard? This pick will cause more questions than answers, now Felton we have a PG controversy in waiting with Felton, and it means we wasted a #5 pick on a PG 3 years ago and never gave him a chance to start at PG, instead playing him at the 2 beside Brevin Knight for 2 years and beside Jeff McInnis for the majority of last year under Sam Vincent. I'm not saying the kid is perfect but he has game. With Augustin here its more of the same for Felton. And now we're unprotected with no proven bigs signed, which just upped the cost of re-signing Emeka Okafor this summer because he knows we need him. And we did this to draft Roy Hibbert and #20?

I knew we had tipped our hand to hard and had a feeling he wouldn't last, and when Hibbert got picked at #17 I couldn't even watch the draft any more. Then with McGee going at #18 I knew it, we were f***ed. When it was our turn to pick at #20 every proven center prospect was gone. We ended up with a guy named Alexis who averaged 5 points a game in France last year. Thanks a lot MJ.

Think about this for a second, we have never made the playoffs, but are set with above average players at 3 out of 5 positions, and with a kid in Felton who is regarded as a solid prospect at the point guard position. Going in to the draft almost anyone you talk with agrees our biggest problem was in the frontcourt. We were asking too much from Okafor to have him play the 5. And coming out of this draft we now still need a center. This is good GMing? Hopefully my mind will change on this in time but for now I'm having a hard time liking my favorite player of all time.

Last edited by 2LeTTeRS : 06-27-2008 at 06:51 AM.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:43 AM   #2
mrhoopfan
Local High School Star

Default Re: Bobcats in trouble? - On draftnight Jordan gambled, and lost

You're right on the ball, MJ is the WORST. If I was their GM, i'd have grabbed Lopez at 9 then if it was possible, traded that 20th pick away for a lower one and grabbed Sean Singletary later on, who can be solid back up. Raymnd Felton is a solid starting pg, he needs to 1. Play pg and strictly pg and 2. Play 35+ mins/ game.
mrhoopfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:51 AM   #3
TheReturnofCed
The Real Ced

DeAndre "Kwame v.2" Jordan was available at 20 :)
TheReturnofCed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #4
gts
shhhhhhh

nice post 2LeTTeRS, i know being a fan can be frustrating...

one thing i have learned over the years is that usually there is a method to the madness, the men in charge make moves usually based on hours and hours of research..

does this make them right? no it doesn't, they do make mistakes, the draft as we know is a real guessing game as the sort out from what players are available to what players can fill team needs and often finding the right balance is ellusive...
even the best GM's/teams make bad choices, you worry when it becomes a chronic problem shown over the span of several years...
so give the Bobcats some time, larry brown is a pretty sharp basketball mind and maybe they were adressing his needs as a coach first...
they may surprise you in the next couple months, maybe they have eyes on a big man with some experience...

chad fords view on the pick..
Quote:
A little bit of a surprise. We've been hearing all day that the Bobcats are shopping Raymond Felton. I guess this confirms it. They passed on a need (Brook Lopez) to get Augustin. He's an upgrade over Felton, so it's hard to criticize the Bobcats. Augustin has a chance to be special. The Blazers and Kings wanted him and have to be crushed right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d...draftyear=2008

Last edited by gts : 06-30-2008 at 01:24 AM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

I don't know I'm trying to keep my head up on about the pick. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't so high on Felton. I really think he can be special in this league. When he was drafted he was compared to Kevin Johnson, and he's played nicely as a pro considering that he's been playing as a 6'1 shooting guard for the majority of the time he's been in the league. The problem is that before he came in the to NBA he was seen as a pure point guard, and we've never given him a whole year to show what he can do as a featured point. I was expecting 16-18 and 8 from him this year, and now who knows how he responds to a guy who is there to threaten his job.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Alex Ajinca might be decent. 5 ppg lmao.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #7
PEN 16
Saw a basketball once

What do you think about passing up Darrell Arthur? Do you think he could have been a good pick at #20, playing PF next to Okafor at C?
PEN 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Talent
Dunking on everybody in the park

I think Ajinca at 20 was a steal. He had teams looking at him in the teens. Before people get out of hand with the whole 5 PPG thing, it was 5 PPG in 10-12 minutes. Euro leagues tend to not start younger guys to protect them from the NBA.

Was it a mistake to not take the Center at 9, I don't know personally. I think that taking a chance is something the Bobcats have failed to do on draft nights, and I am happy they are tring to this time. They have made too many "safe" picks and missed out on Roy and Paul.

MJ is not the best GM and I think he did the right thing taking a chance in this draft.
Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #9
LJJ
Extra Cheese

One thing the Cats do need to do is get Ajinca to the L. I don't care if he is not ready, it's not like he can learn anything in France he can't playing for the Bobcats.

But I think mostly, it was just bad luck. Avoiding Brook Lopez was great GMing. He looked like a tasty pick at 9 for a team like the Cats, but he will be a bust. You could see the Raps taking Hibbert from a mile away, but I'm not that high on Hibbert either. What the Cats should have done was trading the 20th along with guys like May and Morrison for a decent center.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #10
Raptorfan1334
Saw a basketball once

chad fords view on the pick..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d...draftyear=2008[/quote]

I couldnt agree more although Felton is a good player DJ can be special and Felton is a combo at best. I think he still has potential and could be moved for a Wilcox type player to take some of the load of Meka.
Raptorfan1334 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: