Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default 2008-09 College Preseason Rankings and Analysis

Now that the NBA draft is over…how about some good ol’ preseason rankings? The top of the list is dominated by UNC and don’t be surprised if it stays that way for the remainder of the season. Tournament mainstays such as Duke, Louisville, Michigan State, and Wisconsin sum up some of the other competitors in college basketball this season. Tell me what you think!

1. UNC (The return of every starter from last year’s Final Four finalist gives UNC the top spot in this year’s preseason rankings. The Tar Heels will be anchored by last year’s Naismith Award winner, Tyler Hansbrough, along with potential NBA prospects Ty Lawson, Wayne Ellington, and Danny Green. The chance of an undefeated record is not out of the question after returning the top 8 scorers from last year’s 36-3 record. A rivals.com top 15 ranking of incoming freshman also hope to contribute.)

2. Pitt (A Sweet 16 team last year, Pitt returns their “Big 3” in Sam Young, Dejuan Blair, and Levance Fields while also bringing back double-digit scorer Mike Cook, who was lost last year to an ACL injury. Jamie Dixon may be one of the most underrated coaches in college basketball as he always has his team in the hunt of the Big East with less than stellar recruiting classes. Impressive wins last season over WVU, Louisville, Duke, Marquette, and a sweep of Georgetown show how good this team can be. Consistency has been their problem as they suffered a double-digit loss to Rutgers and was given a spanking by Dayton.)

3.UConn ( It bothers me that some have ranked the Huskies so low. Hall of Fame coach? Check. Potential NBA lotter pick center? Check. One of the best floor genarls in college basketball? Check. Inside play? Check. Top 10 recruiting class? Check. So what has everyone so down on UConn? It could be A.J. Price’s injury from last season, but with a top freshman point guard coming in that should be hardly a concern. The Huskies didn’t lose one senior to graduation. Their starting lineup of Thabeet, Price, Robinson, Adrien, and Dyson is possibly second in the nation to UNC.)

4. Duke (For a team that went 28-6 last season, 13-3 in the ACC, the Blue Devils really had an underachieving season. The loss of Demarcus Nelson hurts, but it’s not a huge one, and guards Greg Paulus, Jon Scheyer, and Nolan Smith should replace his production. Kyle Singler will look to prove he was the nation’s most underrated freshman last year, while Gerald Henderson will be looking to become the steady scorer of the team in the 16ppg range. If Greg Paulus continues to improve on dishing assists and limiting turnovers, this team could be truly dangerous.)

5. Louisville (Rick Pitino always has his team ready to play and 08-09 will be nothing new. Top recruit Samardo Samuels should be an immediate improvement over David Padgett, especially as a rebounder. Earl Clark helped Louisville’s season by deciding to not enter the NBA draft, and Edgar Sosa and Jerry Smith give the team a great backcourt. The return of Terrance Williams’ rebounding presence should also help to ease the loss of transfer Derrick Caracter.)

6.UCLA (The loss of Pac10 POY Kevin Love and DPOY Russell Westbrook will be a hit, along with great man to man defender Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, but the Bruins still have the makings of something great. Darren Collison, who could have been a 1st round pick in this year’s NBA draft, comes back for his senior season to run the point guard. Josh Shipp, a 3 year starter, comes back for his senior season to improve his draft status and provide a steady amount of points.

7. Gonzaga (A team not given much credit because of its weak conference schedule, Gonzaga has become the model for mid-major conference teams. It would be unfair to judge Gonzaga by last season’s first round exit of the NCAA tournament. The Bulldogs ran into the hottest team in the tournament, not to mention the hottest player in Stephen Curry, when the Cinderella-like Davidson squad made its Elite 8 run. Jeremy Pargo, one of the nation’s top point guards, is back for his senior season after dropping out of the NBA draft. Austin Daye, possibly a future lottery pick, will be earning his minutes this season while last year’s leading scorer, Matt Bouldin, also returns for his junior year. The Bulldogs could possibly sweep the WAC after a 13-1 record last year. Don’t write them off as just a power of their own conference. Gonzaga had respectable wins over Western Kentucky, Saint Joseph’s, and UConn in their non-conference schedule.)

8.Notre Dame (Big East POY Luke Harongody looks to be the steadying force behind Notre Dame’s attack once again this season. Sharpshooter Kyle McAlarney, tied for 19th in the NCAA in 3 pointers made last season, is along for the ride as he looks to shoot his way into the 2009 NBA draft. Underrated floor leader Tory Jackson will be the steadying ball handler and playmaker for the team as it looks to climb the rankings of the Big East.)

9.Purdue (Purdue, who by far had the best freshman class of last season, returns all of them minus Scott Martin to their 25-9 team of last season. E’Twaun Moore, their leading scorer, is also one of the best distance shooters in the Big10. Scoring outbursts of 24 at Illinois and 28 at Northwestern show his potential. Robbie Hummell and Keaton Grant help to shoulder the scoring load for the Boilermakers. With Michigan State the only real competition in their weakened conference, Purdue should look to finish towards the top in the Big10.)

10.Marquette (No one was more relieved by the returns of Jerel McNeal and Dominic James than new coach Buzz Williams. After sweating bullets over the potential of losing the two, Buzz gets to coach possibly the best backcourt in the nation. Marquette is greedy after watching Brook Lopez’s game winning shot in the second round of the NCAA tournament last season to give them an 82-81 overtime defeat. McNeal and James combined for 39 points, 12 rebounds, and 12 assists in that game but didn’t get enough from their supporting cast. The progression of Lazar Hayward, Wesley Mathews, David Cubillan, and Maurice Acker will be essential.)

11.Miami (A 23-11 team last season, Miami will return its top five scorers from last year’s troops. After a convincing win in the first round of the NCAA tournament over Saint Mary’s, Miami lost a close one in the next round against potential Elite 8 team Texas. The Hurricanes will attempt to move on to the Sweet 16 this year, if not further, being led by senior Jack McClinton. McClinton was one of the most underrated guards in the country last season with scoring outbursts of 29, 30, 34, and 38 points last season. Look for more of the same this year.)

12.Arizona State (James Harden is just a complete stud and would have been easily drafted had he entered the draft this year. Expect him to lead the Pac10 in scoring this season, most likely his last, and lead Arizona State on. This was really a team who could have got into the tournament last season. Most people, including myself, believe Oregon stole their spot. Senior Jeff Pendergraph is back to man the middle while Ty Abbot will look to add to his freshman campaign. Derek Glasser and Jerren Shipp will also be asked to step up into bigger roles.)

13.Michigan State (Don’t be surprised if Raymar Morgan turns into a 18+ ppg scorer this season. Morgan is an athletic wingman who can get buckets in a hurry. The departure of senior Drew Neitzel hands over the full time point guard duties to sophomore Kalin Lucas, who is more than capable of handling the pressure. Big man Goran Suton should continue his solid production under Tom Izzo with sophomores Chris Allen and Durrell Summers expected to make more of a contribution. Spartan fans are also drooling over #24 prospect Delvon Roe.)

14.Texas (Losing an All-American point guard is never good, but the return of AJ Abrams and his scoring prowess definitely helps. Damion James is a double-double machine and great young player, while Connor Atchley is one of the best outside shooting big men in the country. Justin Mason and Gary Johnson will be given more time with the departure of Augustin and will be expected to produce. The Big12 being weakened by the depleted Kansas and Kansas State teams help the cause.)

15.Oklahoma (After a convincing win over Saint Joseph’s in the first round of the tournament last year, Oklahoma ran into a monster of a team in Louisville and was ran out of the building. Blake Griffin won’t let that happen again. Possibly the best power forward in the country, Griffin will once again prove that he is worth a top 5 NBA draft pick and raise himself to All-American status. He’ll be teaming up with Tony Crocker, Austin Johnson, and five star recruit Willie Warren in trying to overtake the Big12.)
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: 2008-2009 Preseason Rankings and Analysis

16.Tennessee (Seniors Chris Lofton and JaJuan Smith leaving will hurt this teams experience and offense, but plenty is left over from last year’s 31-5 team. Junior Tyler Smith will be the leader of this team once again proving to be one of the best all around players in the country. Wayne Chism and J.P. Prince will also be asked to step up their roles. A rivals.com #7 ranking of incoming freshman should help to ease the scoring load, especially with #5 player Scottie Hopson.)

17.West Virginia (Losing lottery pick Joe Alexander is not as big a hit as many people believe. His 17ppg in 31 minutes isn’t anything that incoming freshman Devin Ebanks can’t replace, his rebounding wasn’t spectacular, and his outside shooting was nothing special. The Big East tournament is really where he started to make a name for himself as he was inconsistent during the year, including a stretch of 5 games where he only scored 46 points, a 9.2 average. Alex Ruoff, the sidekick scorer for Alexander last season, now becomes option 1a to Ebanks. Da'Sean Butler will also continue to develop into a great player. Another Sweet 16 finish could be in the cards

18.Baylor (Baylor returns it’s top 5 scorers from last season’s surprising 21-11 team. Curtis Jerrells will look to prove again that he is one of the top guards in the country during his senior campaign. Sophomore LaceDarius Dunn will try to improve on his impressive freshman year after scoring 14ppg in limited minutes last season. Senior Kevin Rogers and Henry Dugat also give the Bears senior leadership, essential in leading a team into the tournament.)

19.Villanova (Nova returns every starter from last year’s Sweet 16 squad including great guard Scottie Reynolds. The Wildcats will need sophomores Corey Stokes and Corey Fisher to step up this season as they struggled for a big chunk of the season, Stokes coming on strong towards the end. Coach Jay Wright will look to get a larger contribution from forward Shane Clark in his senior season, as well as seniors Dwayne Anderson and Dante Cunningham. Antonio Pena, a freshman last season, was also a welcomed addition. A five game losing streak was really the scary moment for Wildcat fans as they lost to Rutgers, Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, and Saint Joseph’s, all double-digit losses. As long as Scottie Reynolds is filling up the bucket, expect Nova to improve on its 9-9 conference record.)

20.Arizona (This is of course in the case of Brandon Jennings playing next season under Lute Olsen and not in Europe. Jennings has the potential to be a lottery pick someday and could continue the Arizona point guard tradition. Chase Budinger decided that he wasn’t ready for the next step and returned to Arizona to provide scoring punch from the wing. Jordan Hill is regarded as one of the top up and coming big men in the country and is a presence on the inside. Nic Wise will be the organizer of this offense after missing 7 games last season.)

21.Memphis (I’ve seen them ranked higher, especially on espn.com at #7, but I just don’t see how. How do you lose your All-American junior shooting guard, the #1 pick in the NBA draft, and the anchor of your defense to the 2nd round of the draft, and barely slip in the rankings? Robert Dozier, Antonio Anderson, and Shawn Taggart were successful as role players, but can they be the leaders of a team? Much will rely on incoming freshman Tyreke Evans and how his scoring translates to the college game. He should be successful in John Calipari’s fast paced offense as he is a slasher similar to Chris Douglas-Roberts.)

22.USC (Losing last year’s star freshman OJ Mayo, not to mention Davon Jefferson, is a big hit to this offense. But there may be no other freshman more waited on than Compton High’s Demar Derozan. Derozan is rivals.com’s #3 overall player, #1 overall shooting guard, and was a 30.6ppg scorer in his last year of high school. Taj Gibson should be able to progress into a reliable inside scorer after having a down year last season. Dwight Lewis and Daniel Hacket should also help with the scoring burden left behind.)

23.Wisconsin (Senior Brian Butch has graduated and left a hole in the middle, but one that can be easily filled. Wisconsin returns four of its top six scorers from last year’s 31-5, Sweet 16 team. Coach Bo Ryan is one of the best in the business and always seems to make something out of nothing. Expect Marcus Landry to have a breakout season.)

24.Oklahoma State (The surprise of this year’s top 25, expect the Cowboys to be in the thick of things in this year’s Big12 title race. A 17-16 finish was not what they wanted last year, but Oklahoma State had some memorable moments including a double-digit win over Baylor and a one-point win over eventual NCAA champion Kansas. Marcus Dove is the lone graduating senior from last year’s squad. Sweet-stroke shooter James Anderson should be able to lead the team into the tournament this year, and hopefully even further.)

25.Georgetown (The loss of seniors Roy Hibbert, Patrick Ewing Jr. and Jonathan Wallace aren’t going to hurt Georgetown’s stats, but will be a big loss in their leadership and team defense. No one seemed to be better in the clutch than Jonathan Wallace who made big shot after big shot, and was there a better half court option in the nation than Hibbert? DaJuan Summers, Chris Wright, Jessie Sapp, and Austin Freeman should be enough to replace the points put out by their seniors. The addition of five star recruit Greg Monroe is a big body plug in the middle to help continue the Georgetown big man tradition.)

Last edited by Posterize246 : 07-02-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
LBJ 4 MVP
Sit yo ass down!

I don't follow college ball much but it seems like you really know what you're talking about. I'm not a big fan of Louisville or Gonzaga, I feel they're too high.
LBJ 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Default Re: 2008-09 College Preseason Rankings and Analysis

Lets get Syracuse on thisssss
Buffalobraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ 4 MVP
I don't follow college ball much but it seems like you really know what you're talking about. I'm not a big fan of Louisville or Gonzaga, I feel they're too high.
Louisville could possibly be higher and Gonzaga is about right.

Memphis should at least be ranked in the teens and Kansas unlike Florida of last year is returning contributing players including Sherron Collins & Cole Alrich along with a good recruiting class led by the Morris twins.

Syracuse shouldn't be any higher than #24 they look good on paper but they are one of the biggest underachievers in the country.

Was anybody else sickened by how they played against Pitt and then against UMass in the NIT.
Jim Boeheim might need to have a retirement thing set in place so he can retire while people still remember his NC.

Last edited by Interminator : 07-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interminator

Syracuse shouldn't be any higher than #24 they look good on paper but they are one of the biggest underachievers in the country.

Was anybody else sickened by how they played against Pitt and then against UMass in the NIT.
Jim Boeheim might need to have a retirement thing set in place so he can retire while people still remember his NC.

Yeah I watched those games, made me sick to my stomach. I'd settle for 24 I think they are a tournament team this year.

http://realnba.s2.bizhat.com/realnba.html
Old 07-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobraves
Yeah I watched those games, made me sick to my stomach. I'd settle for 24 I think they are a tournament team this year.

http://realnba.s2.bizhat.com/realnba.html
Stop posting that link before you get Banned.

And hopefully Syracuse is a Tournament team but I wouldn't bet money on them being so.

Damn I swear Paul Harris could be a great player but his decision making is on a pre-school level.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Syracuse was strongly considered for the 25 spot and I love Jonny Flynn. Donte Greene leaving hurt and they're getting Devendorf back. Just wasn't ready to put them in. They're kind of a bubble team. And I thought Louisville was about right given the departure of Padgett, Caracter, and in a smaller sense Juan Palacios. It's not like 5 is a low seeding.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Interminator, I'm still unsure about Kansas. Yes they have Sherron Collins but he didn't even score double digits last season. Also what did Cole Aldrich do until the last quarter of the season? They do have a nice recruiting class, just uncertain if that's enough.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Interminator, I'm still unsure about Kansas. Yes they have Sherron Collins but he didn't even score double digits last season. Also what did Cole Aldrich do until the last quarter of the season? They do have a nice recruiting class, just uncertain if that's enough.
Winning the NC and returning some contributors is enough to keep a team in the top 25.

Florida lost everyone,they returned nobody who contributed to their team other than Walter Hodge.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #11
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Winning the NC and returning some contributors is enough to keep a team in the top 25.

Florida lost everyone,they returned nobody who contributed to their team other than Walter Hodge.
I would really only name Collins as a contributor. Aldrich barely played. Do you think Kansas will be better than Syracuse next year? Because I know you said they shouldn't be higher than 24 and wouldn't put money on them making the tournament.

Syracuse likely starting lineup...

Flynn
Devendorf
Jardine
Paul Harris
Onuaku

Kansas likely starting lineup

Collins
Releford
Tyshawn Taylor?
Marcus Morris?
Aldrich
Old 07-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
I would really only name Collins as a contributor. Aldrich barely played. Do you think Kansas will be better than Syracuse next year? Because I know you said they shouldn't be higher than 24 and wouldn't put money on them making the tournament.

Syracuse likely starting lineup...

Flynn
Devendorf
Jardine
Paul Harris
Onuaku

Kansas likely starting lineup

Collins
Releford
Tyshawn Taylor?
Marcus Morris?
Aldrich
Kansas would get the nod though in the actual rankings when they're released.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Kansas would get the nod though in the actual rankings when they're released.
It's true. They get the benefit of the doubt. But that's why these are my rankings.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:26 PM   #14
Buffalobraves
Local High School Star

haha i didnt think the link would get me banned sorry just trying to get some publicity (its cool sign up).

I've met Jonny Flynn in person before and after he went to Syracuse and hes taught me a lot. He learned a lot from Syracuse coaches which means they are probably very good. He is the most explosive point guard in the Big East.

Their team looks great with Devendorf back I say 24 seed still.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #15
Grinder

You don't think Kansas will start Markieff Morris as well? I played against both these guys in high school, Markieff can play the 4 and Marcus can play the 3 even though they're 6'10 and 6'9. If Kansas goes with this lineup, they're going to be dangerous.

Looking forward to seeing how BJ Mullens does in Ohio State and another guy I played against in high school, Tyreke Evans.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: