Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
Da Ballahollic
Lookout 4 Boom Herron

Arrow Examining the NBA's Best Second Round Gems

Arenas, Redd, and Boozer: What Do They All Have In Common?

Gilbert Arenas, Michael Redd and Carlos Boozer were a few of the league's best players who weren't drafted until the second round.

As we all know, being drafted in the 1st round doesn’t mean that a player will have a successful career in the NBA. Nor does being a 2nd round selection mean that your career will be unsuccessful.

In every NBA Draft, there are players that slip past the 1st round and are chosen in the second round who end up being more than serviceable NBA players or even All Stars in their respective careers. Below I look back at the 2nd round draft picks since 2000 up to 2005 in order to analyze the players and try to compose the best team I can. The reason I will be stopping at the 2005 Draft is because I want to give time those young players time to fully develop and reach their peak before I analyze and critique them.

I’ll begin with my starters:

PG: Gilbert Arenas
Selecting my starting point guard was a pretty easy decision, Gilbert Arenas. Arenas, who was selected 31st overall by the Golden Sate Warriors from the University of Arizona, has a career average of 22.8 points per game. Agent Zero (his nickname) has been selected to 3 All Star games and 3 All NBA teams (1 time to the 2nd team and 2 times to the 3rd team).

SG: Michael Redd
Selecting my starting Shooting Guard was another easy decision, Michael Redd. Redd, who was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks from The Ohio State University, has a career average of 20.5 points per game. Some of Redd career accomplishments include being named to the 3rd Team All NBA in 2004, one All Star appearance (2004), and being name to Team USA.

HONORABLE MENTION FOR SG: Manu Ginobili

SF: Kyle Korver
This was without a doubt my toughest decision so far, but I’m going to have to select Kyle Korver from the University of Creighton. Kyle Korver was the 51st player taken in the 2003 NBA Draft by the New Jersey Nets. Korver, the Ashton Kutcher look-a-like, has a career points per game average of 10 and is a sniper from behind the arc (40 percent in his career).

PF: Carlos Boozer
Yet another easy decision here at this position, Carlos Boozer. Boozer was selected 35th out of Duke University, by the Cleveland Cavaliers. Some of Boozer’s career accomplishments include being select to two All Star games, making an All NBA Team (3rd) and being named to Team USA.

C: Mehmet Okur Okur was selected by the Detroit Pistons with the 38th pick in the 2001 NBA Draft. Okur has a career average of 13 points and 7 rebounds per game. In the 2007 NBA season, Okur made his first ever All Star game, making him the 1st ever Turkish player to participate in the game.

Now I’ll give you my bench players:

PG: Maurice Williams
Mo Williams was the 47th player taken in the 2003 NBA Draft by the Utah Jazz. In his first full year as a starter (06-07 season) Williams averaged 17.3 points per game and 6.1 assist per game. Williams followed that season up next season (07-08) by averaging 17.2 points per game and 6.3 assists.

SG: Monta Ellis
With the 40th pick in the 2005 NBA Draft, the Golden State Warriors selected Monta Ellis. Ellis, considered one of the biggest rising stars in the NBA, is in only his 3rd year, has a career average of 15.7 points per game and is a career 50 percent shooter from the field. In his 2nd season in the League, he received the Most Improved Player Award. Last season, Ellis averaged 20.2 points, 3.9 assists, 5 rebounds, and 1.5 steals a game.

SF: Bobby Simmons
Bobby Simmons was selected 42nd overall by the Seattle Supersonics. Simmons career year came in the 2004-2005 NBA season when he averaged career highs in points (16.4), rebounds (5.9), assists (2.7), and 3 point shooting (43%). The reason Simmons isn’t a starter on my team is because ever since that career year, his stats have slowly declined each year. His points dropped from 16.4 points per game to 7 points, rebounds from 5.9 to 3.2, and 3 point shooting from 43 percent to 35 percent.

PF: Anderson Varej„o
Anderson Varej„o was selected 31st overall in the 2004 NBA Draft by the Orlando Magic, but was immediately traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers. In his 4 year career with the Cavs, Varej„o has career averages of 6 points and 6 rebounds a game. Anderson Varej„o is not on this list because of stats but because of his hustle, energy, and team defense. With all that being said, Varej„o was a nice pick by the Orlando Magic.

C: Luis Scola
Luis Scola was originally drafted by the San Antonio Spurs with the 56th pick in the 2002 draft. However, Scola didn’t come over to play in the NBA until the 2007-2008 NBA season, making him a 28 year old rookie. In his first season in the League Scola, averaged 24 minutes and produced 10 points and 6 rebounds a game. He also was selected to the NBA All Rookie First Team.

Players who just fell short of making this team include Earl Watson and Steve Blake.

Eric

Comments and suggestions please..

EDIT: I want to put my name on it just in case it does make the front page.

Last edited by insidehoops : 08-08-2008 at 09:01 AM.
Da Ballahollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Default Re: 2nd Round Gems

Okur was 38th in 2008.

Besides that it's good
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
Da Ballahollic
Lookout 4 Boom Herron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
Okur was 38th in 2008.

Besides that it's good
http://nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2001.html

2001...38th

I did accidentally put 2002 when it was 2001 though
Old 07-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
babybulls85
Not airballing my layups anymore

i like the theme of the article, but i think you should go back further maybe include active nba players, that way you can give Rashard Lewis some love
babybulls85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Da Ballahollic
Lookout 4 Boom Herron

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybulls85
i like the theme of the article, but i think you should go back further maybe include active nba players, that way you can give Rashard Lewis some love
1st thanks for the comments and repped..

All of those players are active though..

I didnt go back as far because I am young (15)..but dont like that scare you...I do know my sports..
Old 07-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Ballahollic
http://nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2001.html

2001...38th

I did accidentally put 2002 when it was 2001 though
yeah i put 2008 by accident
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
Da Ballahollic
Lookout 4 Boom Herron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
yeah i put 2008 by accident

I would rep you but it says I have to spread it around 1st.

Front Page worthy?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 AM   #8
wTFaMonkey
RP 4 lyfe

very nice

repped!!!111!!
wTFaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

it shows how tight the selections for SG where, seeing as Manu was selected in the 2nd round too

great read, repped
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Da Ballahollic
Lookout 4 Boom Herron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
it shows how tight the selections for SG where, seeing as Manu was selected in the 2nd round too

great read, repped
1st thanks for the comments...and repped

But Manu was drafted in 1999..I was only looking at the 2nd round draft picks since 2000 up to 2005..
Old 07-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
1st thanks for the comments...and repped

But Manu was drafted in 1999..I was only looking at the 2nd round draft picks since 2000 up to 2005..

oh ok
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #12
NY Comeback
Banned

Default Re: Examining the NBA's Best Second Round Gems

I forgot Korver went in the second round. Good read, it just goes to show you work ethic is just as important as talent, if not more. That's really why some players end up as busts; all the talent in the world, yet no motivation. It's all about making your game better(Like how Arenas wanted prove everybody wrong).

Nice article!
NY Comeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:40 AM   #13
Da Ballahollic
Lookout 4 Boom Herron

I dont know who (jeff or steve) put HONORABLE MENTION FOR SG: Manu Ginobili but he was drafted in 1999 and I went from 2000 to 2005 thats why I didnt include Manu..
Old 08-09-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
Heretik32
Myrrh

Quote:
I dont know who (jeff or steve) put HONORABLE MENTION FOR SG: Manu Ginobili but he was drafted in 1999 and I went from 2000 to 2005 thats why I didnt include Manu..

Just wanted to comment on how you could pick Redd over Manu, but that explains it.

Nice article!
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #15
JStewart
Learning to shoot layups

Since Manu doesn't meet the criteria you established, he probably should not have been mentioned. These kinds of ideas are always a good way to establish dialog with other basketball fans. But in my opinion in most years and for most teams, the second round pick is as much of a crap shoot as the first round pick. It's one reason why Detroit traded out of the first round this year. Why pay guaranteed money to someone picked at the bottom of the fist round? A corollary to your article would be seeing which players drafted in the second round ended up signing the biggest contract and how far into their career it was. I would guess Arenas would be at the top of that list.
JStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: