View Single Post
Old 08-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat cool
Default Dalembert becomes Canadian citizen....playing in FIBA America's

Quote:
The Haitian Sensation is now officially a Canadian citizen. On Tuesday morning at 10:00am EST in a private ceremony Samuel Dalembert became the country's newest citizen in Hamilton, Ontario. The Score is there and exclusive footage of the proceedings can be seen today on To The Point and tonight The Score Tonight.

For both Dalembert and Team Canada Head Coach Leo Rautins it has been a long road to get to this point. During a live Raptors game broadcast last NBA season, Rautins explained that Dalembert had every piece of legal Canadian paperwork…except for his passport. Then, one week ago today, a privy meeting was held to decide if the Philadelphia 76ers center would have his citizenship hearing fast-tracked due to his outstanding community service and the fact that he still keeps residence in Canada.

"These have been anxious times for us, waiting for an answer" explained Rautins during Team Canada's training camp. "Now, to have a player of Sam's caliber join our team…the effect will be tremendous on both ends of the floor."

His effect will also be felt off the court as well.

"When I played for Team Canada, it was my blood on the floor everyday for this team," said Wayne Yearwood an 8-year Canadian team player and current assistant coach. "A guy like that, to go out of his way to put himself in a situation where he could help his country and help us on this team…that speaks volumes."

With Steve Nash unavailable for the upcoming Olympic Qualifier in Las Vegas, Rautins is still holding out hope for one other NBA All Star.

"There is still a chance that Jamaal Magloire will play for his country," Rautins said. "We have been in contact and now Sam and I both want to talk to him to gauge his interest."

Sweet. It'll be nice to actually have an NBA player on our team again. Our bigmen are pretty horrible.
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote