View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #23
D-Fence
Great young streetballer

D-Fence has decent reputation
Default Re: Official #57 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
It was important to your decision to have Cousy up way high on this list when skill wise he's no where near Clyde Frazier or even Gary Payton he cannot be considered a better leader than either of those guys either.

I am asking not arguing when do you see it fit to consider flashiness...becuz tha's really what is being talked about when people say Cousy 'innovated"

Yeah, I figured you were going to get back to Cousy. First, I wasn't saying that Earl Monroe was just a flashy player. Maravich is the kind of player I would criticize for being flashy.

Anyhow, you've seen more Cousy film than I have. But, from what I've gathered, Cousy wasn't merely flashy. Auerbach had that fear at first, which is why he didn't take him in the draft, but he discovered there was substance to Cousy's game. Are you suggesting otherwise?

I don't see how Frazier or Payton were better leaders than Cousy.

When I talked about Cousy's innovation, I wasn't talking about hollow showiness. A behind-the-back pass isn't necessarily pointless and merely a hotdog move. When Cousy joined the NBA, passing and offenses were a tedious and ponderous affair. By the time he left, NBA basketball was exciting and fast-paced. Yeah, there were already players who would make the ocassional behind-the-back pass or whatever (like Bob Davies and Dick McGuire), and there were other good passers in Cousy's day. But Cousy was the best. So, when I say Cousy was innovative, I mean more than fancy passing--he changed the pace of the game and shaped the point guard role.
D-Fence is offline   Reply With Quote