View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #34
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

Default Re: NBA Live vs. NBA 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
blah blah blah, you said absolutely nothing. Thats always the excuse for NBA Live, "You can always change the setting if you don't like it." Well guess what, you shouldn't have to mess with every single slider just to get some realism into the game. With NBA 2K, it plays great out the box. Of course you can change the sliders to make it play even better but the whole point is that you don't even have to do that to enjoy the game. Just pop in the disc and play.

Congratulations, you're the lowest common denominator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
2K could have easily half assed like EA to where you have to change the sliders in order to have a playable game but chose not to. They made it well enough that you can play it right out the box without much customization. While with NBA Live, you have to change up every single slider just to have a somewhat enjoyable game and it still doesn't match the gameplay of 2k (on default). Change the 2k sliders/settings like you do with NBA Live and it's not even a competition anymore. Point being, 2k was already a great game out of the box while NBA Live needs a complete tune up. Which game is better again?

Green’s Law of Debate:

Anything is possible if you don’t know what you’re talking about.

First of all, let’s start with education.

Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English defaute, defaulte, from Anglo-French, from defaillir to be lacking, fail, from de- + faillir to fail

1: failure to do something required by duty or law : NEGLECT

2: archaic : FAULT

3: a failure to pay financial debts

4: failure to appear at the required time in a legal proceeding b : failure to compete in or to finish an appointed contest <lost the game by default>

5 a: selection made usually automatically or without active consideration due to lack of a viable alternative <remained the club's president by default>
b : a selection automatically used by a computer program in the absence of a choice made by the user

The default settings are the settings that the company ships the product with so as to provide a basic starting point for the -very- wide consumer base for the product. Game designers recognize that everyone is different and has different expectations from a game. That’s why they come with multiple difficulty levels and various levels of customization. Default is not “good”. Default is not the intended state of -anything-. Note definition 5(b) for default: “a selection automatically used by a computer program in the absence of a choice made by the user.” How many default selections do you let your computer make for you? I don’t let my computer do -anything- by default, because I want it to run correctly, not run the way someone else thinks it should run.

If NBA 2K runs perfectly right out of the box, and you didn’t have to make a single change to it, that’s great. You are the perfect lowest common denominator for the game. Those pesky roster updates, and lowball stats for second round picks and little used bench players who blow up during a season and show numbers. Do you just wait until next year to get those updated? Or do you wait for someone to put out another “official roster update” to download, that still never gets anything right.

See, I’m just not that simple minded. I change my rosters up all the time. I try and make them reflect the correct stats for the players they’re simulating. Iverson doesn’t dunk from the free throw line in my rosters, Walter Herrmann is actually there in my rosters, Monta Ellis isn’t a 62 in my rosters, and Adam Morrison isn’t Larry Bird in my rosters. You do realize that every single year, the stats table from last year’s game is imported in, a few players are added, a few tweaks are made, and it gets shipped out. Each company has a different way of converting real life stats to their simulation stats, but it still all boils down from statistics. Everyone with a brain knows statistics do -not- tell the whole story. So if you’re basing a simulation of a player based upon -ONLY- his recorded statistics, they’re probably not going to be very accurate. And if you’re basing a simulation of players who don’t even have any recorded statistics, they’re -definitely- not going to be very accurate. And you’re going to consider these “guesstimated” statistics as canon?

And finally, this wonderfully ignorant statement here: “While with NBA Live, you have to change up every single slider just to have a somewhat enjoyable game and it still doesn't match the gameplay of 2k (on default) .

This pretty much sums up everything that I’ve been saying about this vote: The only responses you are going to get regarding this topic are ignorant, uninformed, biased hyperbole from the least mature and dumbest possible people on the internet. You won’t -ever- hear anything like “That game sucks! This game rules!” from me, because I’m not a f*cking idiot.

Which game is better again?

Any of them, as long as someone with your level of intelligence and maturity isn’t on the other end.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote