View Single Post
Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #13
HoopNightmare
I brick open layups

Default Re: the Tony Parker of the ASIA...

SINGAPORE — If an offer comes his way and the pay is good, Jason Castro, the high-leaping guard of the Philippine team, may play for a professional Singapore team in favor of a PBA career.

The back-to-back PBL MVP winner might be playing for the Singapore Slingers, one of the teams in the National Basketball League (NBL) Hummer Championship in Australia.

Castro caught the fancy of one of the officials of the Slingers after helping the SEA Games-bound RP team to an impressive 100-93 win over the taller and heftier pro squad.

In that game, the 5-foot-10 Castro awed his defenders and dazzled the crowd with his explosive moves. He scored 16 points, five assists and three steals against the Slingers.

"May lumapit sa akin from the Slingers and he informed me na they’re looking for Filipinos to play for the team," Castro said.

"Kung maganda ang offer, baka subukan ko, pero sana may kasama ako para di malungkot," said Castro.

Businessman Paul Monozca, one of the leaders of the Filipino community here, said the Singapore Slingers management wants the organization more attractive to some 120,000 Filipino workers.

"But I told them, that if they want to gain the attention of Filipinos here, they need to get at least three Filipinos (to play for the team)," Monozca said.

Mikee Romero, who owns Harbour Centre — Castro’s team in the PBL — said he won’t stand in the way if Castro would be given the chance to play in the NBL, Australia’s version of the PBA.

"I’ll be happy if one of my boys would be given the chance to play in the Australian league. Malay natin, baka iyan ang maging tulay niya na makalaro sa NBA," Romero said.
HoopNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote