View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #15
Shepseskaf
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by laalaa
Thank you lord. It's about time to get this crap as far as possible from the mainstream. The genre had nothing good to offer to anyone.
As someone who grew up in NY when hip hop was just getting started, I can definitively say that your statement is crap. Hip hop was simply brilliant when it first started out. As a genre, it initially grew out of the "house music" craze, which was then mixed with a strong dose of what I would call protest music.

Back in the day, hip hop was virtually the only way for many young black people to express their rage and frustration at being shut out of society. To me "The Message" is still the best hip hop record of all time. The emotions were raw and uncensored. That's what made the entire genre so popular, and brought it into the mainstream -- it was brutally honest in a way that pop music wasn't.

In my view, once hip hop turned into a commercial enterprise it was doomed. I watched regular guys 'from around the way' like Run-DMC become wealthy virtually overnight. in fact, they were among the first rappers to really make the 'big-time', especially after their collaboration on "Walk This Way". Once the objective became to mold the music to a mainstream audience instead of focusing on a real message, then it gradually became crap.

To this day, the most popular (and best) hip hop music came from groups and individuals who spoke from the heart: Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Public Enemy, NWA, Rakim, KRS-One, Queen Latifah (in her early days) and many others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I remember sitting in my friend's basement listing to the first hip hop LP every made: King Tim III. At the time, we couldn't believe that someone had actually made a record with music that we only heard at house parties. No one at that time thought the genre would blow up the way it did.

I can't even listen to it anymore. 50 cent has had a couple of passable songs, but he pales in comparison to many of the original hip hop groups. In short, as noted above it was the adaptation of rap for the commercial market that killed its spontaneous nature and its propensity to tell the truth about cultural alienation and many of the other ills found in the black community.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote