View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
J_Rock3ts
The Truth

J_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected posterJ_Rock3ts is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Twilight Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
This game just doesn't hit for me. Now, don't mistake this as my saying it is a bad game. It is just that I have pretty lofty expectations for Zelda games since the original NES creations to "a link to the past" and "ocarina of time". This one just feels a lot like the same zelda games following the exact sequence as the predecessors, forest, death mountain, zora's domain, etc. I wanted something more, something new, something innovative. All it feels like i got was "ocarina of time" repackaged for use with the wiimote. I'd have to say this ranks near the bottom for me in the Zelda franchise, right alongside majora's mask. I'd like to hear from those who really dig this game. Prhaps, as I grow older my appreciation for Zelda games lessens?

To address your last sentence, I'd certainly hope not. Since the days of the NES, Zelda's always been on the top of my list of video game favorites. And with the newer 3d releases, the games have really become epic stories in the medium of a video game. Like you, I put Twilight Princess in the same mold as Ocarina of Time. But in a good way. To some, Ocarina of Time completely changed the concept of "gaming." Never before had I played such a captivating game that drew me into the story as OoT did. I'm assuming that many people share this opinion. TP did the same thing, but took it up another notch. As I was in OoT, I was completely astounded by the beauty of the game. Not the best graphics in the world, but TP's use of color completely made up for it. And honestly, think about it. Twilight Princess was released the same day the Wii was. Nintendo basically worked from absolute zero to create this game. The entire control scheme was revolutionary, they worked on a brand new engine, and a brand new console, and still made what many people consider the best Zelda game of all time.

And to further address comparisons, isn't familiarity what makes the Zelda series so great? To see the same places evolve with each new adventure Link takes? To see how old items are used in new games? Hell, even to compare Link to every other Link in other games? After a while, you develop a fondness for Hyrule and its inhabitants...I'd personally be disappointed if certain features from past titles weren't included. In all, I guess it's a pointless rant. I loved Twilight Princess myself, but if you didn't, I'm certainly not going to bash you for it. TP just might not have been what you were expecting.
J_Rock3ts is offline   Reply With Quote