View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #22
Gonso
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Gonso has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron to go overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
I've always thought that basketball was almost at the same level as football in Greece, in popularity that is. I am Lithuanian, so I can assure you basketball is number one here and in Latvia. I agree with you about players coming at this age, at this level. If LeBron was European, like Nowitzki or Gasol, we could have a different discussion. But this guy is American, he doesn't need all those problems there, since he is playing at home and I'm sure he's fine at the club he is at.
Knowing Abramovich, you could expect a contract that big, but Chelsea still wouldn't win much, maybe the cup. However, it is possible to pay money like that, Chelsea offered (reportedly) up to 200 million Euros for him. That's big money. Unfortunately, big football clubs don't like spending big money on basketball, such as Real Madrid or Barca. Looking at major Greek teams like Pana or Olympiakos, it seems like they value both sports very high.

Agreed, this is the case for an american superstart. It is not the same for Gasol or Nowitzki .

Btw, I actually mistyped... I meant that I know for sure that in Lithuania basketball is the most popular sport (one of my best friends is lithuanian). I have no clue about Latvia.

Chelsea might pay 60 even 100 million to get the rights of the player but the contracts are in the region of 8 million per year. So they spend say 60 million to buy the rights and then give the player another 5m per year. now this is a huge cost of course but they have the rights of the player for a 5 year period and as it happens in most cases they will sell the player one year or two before the expiry of the contract for the same deal of money or more. And they can afford to do that because in the football transfer market, there is a cash flow that goes from one team to the other.

Panathinaikos and Olympiakos spend a lot of money but you need to bear in mind that the owner of Panathinaikos basketball team is different than the owner of Panathinaikos football team and the same applies to Olympiakos.

By the way great game today, well done
Gonso is offline   Reply With Quote