View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #23
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Lebron to go overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonso
Agreed, this is the case for an american superstart. It is not the same for Gasol or Nowitzki .

Btw, I actually mistyped... I meant that I know for sure that in Lithuania basketball is the most popular sport (one of my best friends is lithuanian). I have no clue about Latvia.

Chelsea might pay 60 even 100 million to get the rights of the player but the contracts are in the region of 8 million per year. So they spend say 60 million to buy the rights and then give the player another 5m per year. now this is a huge cost of course but they have the rights of the player for a 5 year period and as it happens in most cases they will sell the player one year or two before the expiry of the contract for the same deal of money or more. And they can afford to do that because in the football transfer market, there is a cash flow that goes from one team to the other.

Panathinaikos and Olympiakos spend a lot of money but you need to bear in mind that the owner of Panathinaikos basketball team is different than the owner of Panathinaikos football team and the same applies to Olympiakos.

By the way great game today, well done
I thought you might have mistyped about Lithuania, but you are still right about Latvia. I was talking about money but actually forgot to mention the player I am talking about: Kaką. I agree with you about money in football, teams buy rights, but then can get money back by selling a player. I didn't know the owners were different, I guess football doesn't affect basketball much in Greece.
We played okay today, as you know, it was more of a principle thing to win, but I was dissapointed with the refereeing done in favor of russia. I don't think a Greek and a Serb should guide a Lithuanian or a russian game, as I don't think a Lithuanian shouldn't be refereeing for Greeks or Americans. We should be seeing refs from neutral countries like Canada or France. Or at least have countries that have no history, as Lithuania has a long basketball history with both Greece and Serbia. Good luck today, I am loving the way Greece is playing against USA. They are hanging right in with the showmen, none of the Americans look superior, every Greek seems to be doing his job. Good luck.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote