View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #73
-primetime-

Default Re: TO is a buffalo bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
did you not see how easily defenses were taking him out of the game with simple bump coverage in the second half of the year?

aside from San Fran which stupidly played off giving him room to work, everyone else got up on him and he just could NOT break away. Jam him at the line and he is very average now.
they showed on ESPN examples of why they think he slowed down...

pretty much every example involved 2 or 3 DBs...

one of the examples kinda upset me, it was against the Steelers and they were trying to show how Owens has "lost a step"...the play they showed was a post route to the left where the CB was stuck on Owens, and Troy came from behind Owens to block his route. It was the typical double coverage that Owens always demands and resulted in an incomplete pass because he was so stuffed...

I don't think this is Owens losing a step, I think this is defenses taking him out of plays but using multiple players to do so...

I can't ever remember one game during his entire time in Dallas where a team decided to just glue a single CB on him where Owens didn't just completely rape the guy, no matter how big of a name that CB was...

I wish Dallas would have played the Raiders, although I doubt they would have lined Owens up on Aso's side that much at all, I still bet there would have been a couple plays of Owens beating him, maybe even a deep TD pass...

now all that being said he is getting old now, and I seriously doubt it is possible that he could be getting any better, it can only go down from here. But I still think that saying "Owens clearly has lost a step" is pretty much false for the most part....and like I said, his numbers do not indicate that he has slowed down at all...