View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #31
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Posterize's Pro Prospects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246

James Johnson, F, Wake Forest

I really, really like this kid. Has a great all-around game as a small forward and is built like a tank, just pure muscle. But his size doesn't slow him down in the full court as he has great end to end speed. His size, strength, and speed is what makes him so intriguing. Measured a near 6'8 in shoes with a sick 7'1 wingspan, all with his 256 lbs of muscle. Not fat. The only thing working AGAINST Johnson at this point is that he's already 22 years old despite his sophomore status. I'm not one to look at age but NBA teams might have his stock even higher if he was younger.

Johnson really improved drastically from his freshman to sophomore years, all while taking a side role to scorer Jeff Teague and letting freshman Aminu get his touches. He flourished in the uptempo game and loved getting out on the break following defensive stops. He's going to need to improve on his deep jumper but he does have the range to the NBA line. Will never be anything close to a good shooter from out there but can become one that at least needs a hand in his face and to be respected.

Had his best 3 game stretch of the season when he had 24 pts/11 rebounds/2 steals, 26 pts/11 rebounds/1 blck, and 28 pts/18 rebounds/1 blck vs. GA Tech, Duke, and NC State. He also shot 60% from the floor in that stretch.

His game, as far as the impact he can have, could be similar to a Shawn Marion. A small forward who can switch to the power forward spot and present mismatch problems for the opposing team. He can give you those points, rebounds, blocks, and steals every single game and could be a future fantasy basketball stud. Gerald Wallace is also a name that comes to mind.

I don't look for JJ to be drafted past the Suns at #14. If he's still there I believe they take him. Rumors have Jonny Flynn going there as Nash's potential replacement, but why would they draft a PG if they already have Barbosa as well as 2 rookies from last year who are ball handlers (Singletary/Drajic)? The Suns have literally no future at the SF spot with Grant Hill nearing retirement and Matt Barnes a guy who isn't considered a starter in the league. It's hard to see him get past Phoenix, but he would also be a good replacement for Tayshaun (if traded) or AK47 (if he somehow dropped that far).

Best Case Scenario: Shawn Marion/Gerald Wallace
Worst Case Scenario: Bigger, stronger Jamario Moon
Stock: Anywhere from picks 9- 20
Best fits: Raptors (9), Nets (11), Suns (14), Pistons (15), Jazz (20)

If Johnson drops past 12 he is a steal IMO...
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote