View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #32
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation
Default Re: Brandon Jennings is ROTY

[quote=Showtime]Evans had multiple game winning plays, as well as a 35 point second half comeback in chicago. Without Martin's drama, the kings weren't that bad. With Martin, they only won 2 games.

You are assuming Evans would dominate the basketball with the bucks, which isn't the case. If he has a legit post option in Bogut (like he did with Landry after the trade), he has no problem giving up the ball. BJ averaged 5.7 dimes while Evans had 5.8 while splitting minutes at point. And he might have had more if his teammates could hit outside shots. It's a myth that Evans can't distribute.

Quote:
The Bucks' have a very fluid offense with a lot of movement, the only player that really stops the ball is Salmons. If Kmart couldn't be effective playing with Tyreke, it's hard to see how Salmons could. It's still up in the air whether or not Tyreke would defer in the way a point guard should... or if he would get the ball to Bogut.

And as for Curry? Are you seriously saying he isn't a playmaker?

I didn't say the bucks would be better. I said with Evans or Curry, the bucks would still be a playoff team. What made them successful wasn't mainly BJ. It was a combination of factors with their rookie point guard being one of them, and Evans and Curry could make the same impact at least. Hell, there was a time Luke was the best PG on the team.

You just said he misses open shots, but he's not a bad shooter. That's exactly what an inconsistent shooter does: they are inconsistent. I don't see how being a more consistent and efficient scorer is a negative in Curry and Evans. It seems you want to penalize them for that.

We are having a discussion about THIS SEASON'S ROY award, not about how a guy will develop in a few years.

And Evans and Curry came in and did the same. Why do you look at the record and assume those guys didn't? They stepped up, and could do the job with the bucks.

Hell, I think Collison could do what BJ did with the bucks.

Collison's post AS numbers:

19 PPG, 9 AST, 3 REB

So then BJ is first for rookie of the year and Collison is second? lol...

Do you really think he's a bad shooter? This kid on the Illini, the guy in my avatar, is a great shooter, but it's his freshman season and he came in and after starting off hot, he bricked the whole rest of the year. Threw up air balls... etc... Remember how many air balls Kobe threw up?

Jennings is a good shooter he just had a bad season shooting. I like Jennings because I understand his mind state. He runs the point like I do. A lot of people think it's bad, but I think it's good... you gotta make the defense respect you by shooting and you have to find your shot. As I have said in other threads, I believe the reason rookies usually struggle from the field is they shoot more than vets to find their shot. Where as vets have more experience to get off early, you know? So, if Brandon JEnnings goes 4-14 but 8 of those misses were in the first half, and he makes clutch shots down the stretch it's not really as bad as you think. Try to think outside the box a bit.

Jennings had two of his best games against Tyreke's team and Curry's team. I think that when he is allowed to, he can score just as well as they can. But he's actually trying to run the point.

As LA said, Jennings is the only one that seems to be learning how to WIN and yes that is something that has to be learned... plenty of players put up good stats on bad teams... you can assume that they would do well if they went to another team, but we KNOW that Jennings played well for the Bucks.

He did get benched when Ridnour was wet or when Jennings was just playing stupid, but I don't really hold that against him. One could also say that Coach Skiles has BJ on a tighter chain.

I'm not saying he should win it, but it's not laughable. He's come up big... if you don't include him in the discussion, that's kind of hateful.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote