View Single Post
Old 06-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #5
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Adam Morrison

Strengths
1) Scoring ability - He can simply do it all when it comes to scoring points. Solid shooter from all areas, has a nice high arc on his jumper that is difficult to block. Has worked hard to improve the range on his shot the past few years, as he went from not being able to hit a 20 footer as a freshman to shooting 42% from 3 last season. Suprisingly moves well off the ball as he rarely stands around, always moving his feet.(which is something most NBA players fail to figure out - like the entire Knicks team)

Already has an NBA-type offensive game. When he's on a smaller, quicker guy he likes to post him up or get a mid-range shot. On a bigger, slower player he prefers to take him out on the perimeter and take the shot or drive past him. He is an excellent finisher at the basket, using a variety of layups and floaters. And when he doesn't finish them he knows the proper way to sell a foul, an artform that adds 3-4 free throws a night.

2) Mentality - The guy is simply a madman on the court. The NBA player that I would compare him to the most in that regard is Ron Artest. Never backs down from anyone that challenges, even to the point where he may be on the verge of starting a fight. Ultra intense on the court. I have seen him do everything from trashtalking opposing players to repeatedly banging his head on a basketball to bawling on the court before a game ended. This is the kind of player whose desire and dedication should never be questioned.

Weaknesses
1) Everything but scoring - Occasionally tries on defense, but he mostly tries to preserve his energy for the offensive end. Doesn't really like to pass the basketball. Pedestrian rebounder.

If a team drafts him, it's only for his scoring. Nothing else is really worth talking about.

2) Health/Physical abilities - I really think people oversell this point to drag him down, but his Diabetes is a legit concern. But the guy has come a long way from being a relatively unknown freshman to a possible #1 NBA draft pick. He takes shots every timeout and substitution. His diet is rigid. Will probably need a personal assistant at all times on the road.

Athletically he's not elite. He's not a guy that will be able to pull off some of the moves that Wade, Kobe or LeBron can. Not a great leaper. Has a strange way of running that looks sluggish.

3) Mental standpoint - He's a different kind of guy. I think his lifelong health issues may have something to with it but he's a character. I've heard rumors on message boards (like they mean anything) saying that he is a communist, chain smoking party animal that lives on the edge. But then again most pro-athletes live on the edge, so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Prediction
He needs to be on the right team. Preferably a squad that has a clear need for scoring, like the Blazers. Charlotte would also be an interesting scenario.

If its the right squad (like the Blazers) he's a rookie of the year candidate. It wouldn't be a reach to say that he can average at least 15 a night next season. Defensively he will be pretty awful though to start off. He has a long way to go on that end of the court.

Last edited by dak121 : 06-21-2006 at 11:40 PM.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote