View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #4363
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Okay I saw this film in theaters last year and was pretty well entertained by the 3D and CGI effects but there were a few things that bugged me about it that I kind of kept to myself. The film was getting so much praise that I felt that maybe people are seeing something deeper here that I'm missing. I was thinking about it again this weekend so I decided to watch it this time without the 3D effects so I could concentrate on the narrative, character development and acting performances.

Man does this film suck. The level of suckitude so permeates all aspects of it I don't know where to start. I'll try and break it down.

Plot: Now I know that with any sci-fi fantasy film there needs to be a certain amount of suspension of disbelief but to buy all that goes on here really requires you to remove the logic center of your brain entirely. I could go on ad nauseum but I'll just give a few examples:
1. The big blue cat people have ponytails that they can plug into things to talk to the dead, talk to trees and plants, talk to God, have sex and convince dragons to give them a ride. Really???
2. Jake goes from a bumbling idiot to the greatest warrior the Na'vi have ever seen in a matter of weeks. Really???
3. The mechanical body armor that the badass marine wears has a front made out of glass that can be pierced with an arrow. Really??

Character development: There wasn't any. Jake's backstory takes up the first 20 min. of the film only to be completely disgarded. Every character is a cliche.

Script/dialogue: The planet is called Pandora and the evil humans are mining "unobtainium". Nuff said.

Acting performances: Bland and cliched.

Overall 3/10 with the 3 points solely for visual effects.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote