View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 12:37 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
The formulaic hip hop you talk about in a twisted kind of way is a perverted form of machismo aimed at suburb kids, selling them a fantasy world of guns, violence, toughness, luxury goods, and sex. All things unattainable when you are a high school student living in your parents house somewhere in Suburbia where nothing ever happens. Fans of hip hop will always love it, but you can sell a lot more records if you talk about being hard, getting pussssssy, owning nice rides and booze and drugs to the people who spend their days trying to score those items.
It's a proven money making formula but the dangerous thing is that the caretakers of the art form (those in the limelight today) are actually pimping out their art and turning over the music like they are turning out hoes. They may drive it into the ground. Hip hop will never die, but it could go into serious remission.
Record company execs are suits nowadays too, not like back in the day when people were in it cuz they loved the music. That means they'll care less about skills and more about the bottom line and that formula unfortunately works out better based on how many times you can talk about the 24 inch chain you just copped from Jacob's.

I can agree here....

But I think the part that bothers me is not really the subject matter as much as it is the lack of competent lyrics and innovative production..

I am also bothered by the fact that rapper's seem to be believing their own hype these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by monthh
Hip hop is whatever you want it to be I think. If you want club beats and gangsta rhymes, then listen to Chingy or 50 Cent. If you like old school, listen to KRS-One, Big Daddy Kane, and Busy Bee. It doesn't matter if you like southern hip hop, west coast, east coast, midwest, street, underground, instrumentals, or whatever else. The thing that kind of bothers me is when people think one is better than another or one is not real hip hop.

I dont agree....

I think some of this stuff is rap music but not hip hop music...

Quote:
Hip hop is so much bigger, obviously, than in 1990. Blame Will Smith for making it so mainstream, Rakim for updating it, 2Pac and Biggie for making beefs popular, or MC Hammer for making dance hip hop for your dislike of current hip hop. But you can't attack the kids in the suburbs that like Jeezy.

people forget that Hip-hop is a culture... Some of the stuff people call hip-hop has really nothing to do with the culture....

Rappers can rap about whatever they want, but they at least had to have tight lyrics and good production... You cant just holler laffy taffy and say thats hip-hop....

when rappers used to take their lyrics as the number 1 priority, hip-hop was at its best...

but now we got rappers whose main goal is to be rich, so they try to manufacture the hype and the hits...

that sh*t is transparent......

guys like Cam & 50 & lilWayne wanna spend their time trying to manufacture beef with other rappers so they can make dollars off of fueds and beef...

everyone knows beef sells, but still its has to be genuine....

2pac vs. Biggie beef was real...both artists were already accomplished in their own light....their careers werent based on beefing with people....

LL & Kool Moe Dee were the same.....Nas & Hova was the same...

but now rappers are out there trying to create a buzz or create an image, that unrealistic image and it gets old to listen if there is no balance or no other topics to hear people flow to..

hip-hop isnt dead yet, but it on life support right now
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote