View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #19
knobs
Decent playground baller

Default Re: The psychology behind plastic surgery

like anything, the line is where you choose to draw it. plastic surgery as a psychological solution to aesthetic insecurity certainly goes further along the scale than make-up or expensive accessories or flaunting money - mostly because of the inherent risk that's involved. and i think people should be dissuaded from surgery just as they should be dissuaded from altering their image in more minimal ways - its skirting around a psychological issue that will probably continue to recur no matter what you do, until its confronted directly.

but morally, i have no problem with it and would never openly criticize somebody for taking that road - in the end, it's their choice. living in a community with others is hard and the tendency to think you're being judged by everybody isn't easily escapable. we'd like the think that we can flick a switch and dismiss our insecurities as petty and insignificant, but the fact for the vast majority of us is that they play a very significant role in the choices we make. if a woman decides on plastic surgery, i won't necessarily agree with the decision, but i'll understand it as a coping mechanism for living in a psychologically stressful world of human interaction. it's their choice and if it works for them, so be it.

that said, while unadulterated criticism directed at individuals after the fact should definitely be avoided, important (and at times critical) information about major elective surgery needs to be more prominently advertised. mass marketing is entirely profit-based, and therefore designed to increase consumption of products, oftentimes to the detriment of the consumer who doesn't have all the appropriate information. if the risks of unnecessary plastic surgery aren't properly weighed, especially by the youth, poor choices are made and lives can be ruined. so again, fine lines need to be drawn between criticism on a moral basis and dissuasion on a risk/reward basis - the former is petty and frankly none of anybody else's business, the latter is important so that potential patients are properly informed of the physical and psychological details and factors before they go under the blade.
knobs is offline   Reply With Quote