View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

Default Re: I'm quitting smoking.

good luck man.

i smoked my first cig when i was 14 and smoked pretty steadily from the ages of 16-24.

quitting cold turkey worked for me. i got really sick for about 2 weeks and just flat out didn't want one so that helped me jump start the process. i also started getting in shape as i quit. started mountain biking as much as i could and started to really embrace the fact that my breathing and stamina were improving on longer rides.

i'd really advise you to immerse yourself in physical activity as that's when you can reap tangible benefits and it just feels great. keeps giving you a better outlook on the whole quitting process.

the hardest part for me was going out to bars and just drinking in general. the smoking ban here doesn't go into effect for another year here, so almost every bar here is inundated with smoke. i had to learn to be around smoke and want a cig so bad, but not have one. then i had to learn to like this self-deprivation in an almost masochistic sense. you always feel like a million bucks when you wake up the next morning and know you made it through the night, completely wasted, and didn't have a smoke.

that said it's been 4 years and 4 months since i've had a cig and although the times i want a cig are fewer and farther between, i still get the itch and recent studies show that just one freaking cigarette can have detrimental effects on your dna.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote