View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Weems Unhappy With Reduced Role

Quote:
In the seven games since the arrival of forward James Johnson in a trade on Feb. 22, Weems has been ditched from the starting lineup and been used sparingly, playing more than 20 minutes just once. That’s bad news for a player whose contract expires at season’s end. Though there’s little doubt Weems will find work in the NBA going forward, suddenly the specifics of the scenario — where he’ll be playing next year, and for how much — aren’t nearly so clear.

“It is my contract year, and I want to feed my family,” Weems said. “I’m disappointed every day. It’s not pleasing at all, and it doesn’t make me happy. But it’s something I have to deal with. That’s the way the cards were dealt.”

The critiques of Weems’s games are no secret to anyone who spends time around the club. To summarize: The coaching staff would appreciate it if he shot less and defended more. Maybe that’s a difficult gospel to preach on a team on which the statistical leaders, the likes of Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan, also refuse to practice it conscientiously. Still, Johnson is getting a chance to show what he can do in the first five because, though he has arrived in town with an unpolished offensive game, he has drawn praise from Jay Triano, the head coach, for his imposing physicality on the other end.

“More defence? I don’t know about more defence,
” Weems said. “If I recall, the whole team’s been giving up more than 100 points a game defensively. You can’t put it all on me.”

“I’m disappointed, as every other NBA player would be. It’s something I’ve got to deal with,” Weems said. “I can’t hang my head. That’s what I’m not going to do. I’m not going to give anybody any ammunition. I’m going to hold my head up and keep going.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...h-reduced-role

Sprewell 2.0?
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote