View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #31
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Why is Sergio Martinez not a bigger star? He has all the star qualities, the look, exciting fighting style, KO power. It's a shame he has yet to have one PPV fight. And were talking about a Top 5 fighter in the world.

These promoters need to get off their asses and stop letting HBO promote their fighters. Sergio should be fighting more than once or twice per year. No reason why he shouldn't have a bigger name and bigger following. Bob Arum gets a lot of negativity but he and even GBP would know how to promote Sergio and make him a star.

Its not even just Sergio. But guys like Paul Williams and Berto, both Americans with fan freindly styles, who get HBO fights all the time but still relatively unknown to everyone besides diehards. To top it off, these promoters come out of no where to cash out and expect Top Rank or GBP to give their fighters, their biggest paydays ever. If the promoters would actually do their job and build up their fighter's name, they wouldn't have problems getting big money fights with top dogs like TR and GBP.
I made a similar point about Andre Ward about a month ago...

He has all of the tangible things that general sports fans usually look for in their 'golden boy' fighters -- aside from style -- and yet he is almost completely unknown outside of hardcore boxing circles...

Gold Medalist - check
World Champion - check
Undefeated - check
American - check
Likeable - check

...throw in the fact that he has beaten (dominated) top tier talent recently and it is mind-boggling that he isn't more well known. Usually, the Gold Medal alone will make a fighter who turns professional one of the stars of the sport. He hasn't just gone pro, he has dominated some of the best in the world... And no one seems to care.

I realize that he doesn't have the tailor-made style for a huge draw, but there have been plenty of defensive-minded Olympic champions that became huge names.

I'm pretty much at a total loss as to the lack of promotion that Ward gets. Sergio Martinez is a certified star in comparison to Ward. The question is, do we blame Dan Goossen or is it just that the public hasn't embraced him for whatever reason? I feel like his accomplishments should be out there a little more than they currently are.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote