View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Why do some GMs appear to be so dumb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
No they wouldnt. a lot of the job is just common sense, luck, and situaiton, Like if I were running the cavs in 03 id have taken anyone but Lebron...

These arent teams that are blank slates to build. If you hand me or most of us the...Nuggets. What do you think happens? The team has players set. Good coach. Eventually we would have to choose who to resign but we would have the owner, coaches, and players opinions to consider. Not left out on our own. If George Karl says "I need ___ on this team...lets try to keep him" what am I gonna tell him to **** off?

It takes YEARS for a GMs actions to really make or break a franchise outside the major overnight rebuilds. And even then you have a huge staff to lean on.

Give me the Heat...they win plenty of games the next 5-6 years and perhaps some rings. Give me the Bobcats...eh. Who knows?

Gms are victims of what they have to work with as much as anyone else. Some of them barely make any moves at all.

I could pick a coach out of a grabbag and likely do...decently if I had a team in place. Or do what so many of the mdo...wait till the end of the year and sign an assistant the league is high on from a finals team.

GMs make the big calls...at least have a say in them with the owners and coaches. But they dont really have to figure out who is good and who sucks. They have scouts, coaches, and common knowledge to lean on.

There is probably more to learn about keeping all the egos in check than basketball. You dont need to know the game terribly well to pick who your 11 scouts are raving about. Or to know a well known coach knows a thing or two. Or to call someone and ask about an assistant the league has beentalking about for 10 years.

These guys arent working alone.

So, basically, I should have rephrased to "NBA front offices" instead of NBA GMs? I can see where you're coming from.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote