View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Toizumi
veteran savvy

Toizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterToizumi is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: NBA financial information for 2010-11 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Hmmm, the NBA predicted losses for the season, but actually had revenues increase. Something fishy going on here.

Overall yes. but players salary increased as well and still amazes me that 57% of the revenue goes to players.

This short read got me interested so I googled around a bit to get a better picture of why a new CBA is needed (according to Stern). been wanting to do that for a while, but didnt have the time.

According to multiple articles, more than 22 of the 30 teams are currently running at losses right now.. These are Stern's words though.
The main issue for Stern for the new CBA is revenue sharing between franchises, so that smaller teams don't go broke/lose value.

Quote:
The league's proposed solution is a system that includes both robust revenue sharing and better player cost containment. It's a one-two punch of first ensuring the league as a whole is in the black, and then spreading the money around so that the big markets are on a level playing field with the small markets.

"It's about coming up with a system, if you think about it, where every team has the same amount of chips," Stern said.

I got the numbers below from som random article, not sure if its legit. still postworthy:

Quote:
•05-06: 19 clubs ran at a loss, total losses of $220 million
•06-07: 21 clubs ran at a loss, total losses of $285 million
•07-08: 23 clubs ran at a loss, total losses of $330 million
•08-09: 24 clubs ran at a loss, total losses of $370 million
•09-10: 23 clubs ran at a loss, total losses of $340 million
•* 10-11 23 clubs ran at a loss, total loss of $300 million

Pretty bad right?
However, the losses may be the result of the way that accounting has been done for these teams. Here's a long*ss article from ESPN on the league "losing" money. Interesting read (although I skimmed through a part, shit is longggg).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/column...ancials-110630
Toizumi is offline   Reply With Quote