View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #34
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: Fantasy News/Advice/Sitem-Startem/ETC.

Good thread.

I concur with Marlo that it is important not to reach for a player just because you like him, he is on a team that you root for or even if you think he is going to have a big year.

For instance, I just completed my first FF draft of the season today (for a big money league) and I really had no interest in MJD at the start of the draft. I was selecting 6th overall and he was nowhere on my radar screen.

Chris Johnson fell to me at No. 6, so I grabbed him. I was targeting a specific WR coming back around, but MJD tumbled all the way back to me with the 18th pick overall. I could not allow him to slip by me even though the player I had tagged was still on the board.

As a result, I have a CJ/MJD tandem at RB and, even with average years out of those guys, I will have far and away the best starting pair in the league.

Another thing, which I'm not sure whether or not Marlo touched upon...

I always find it valuable to go through the positions and see which are the strongest and which are the weakest. The best player on the board might well be a running back, but if I think the dropoff between that guy and the next guy I might have a shot at is less than maybe a less valuable receiver that sees a dramatic fall afterward, I will go with the receiver.

I don't just rank players, but I rank positions by their strength in a given year... And, I will often separate players into tiers based on what will be available from round-to-round.

Here is my starting lineup from my first draft today...

QB - Josh Freeman
RB - Chris Johnson
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew
WR - Dwayne Bowe
WR - Dez Bryant
Flex - Steve Johnson
TE - Jason Witten

12-man PPR league... $200 buy-in.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 08-21-2011 at 11:33 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote