View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #34
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Fantasy News/Advice/Sitem-Startem/ETC.

Good thread.

I concur with Marlo that it is important not to reach for a player just because you like him, he is on a team that you root for or even if you think he is going to have a big year.

For instance, I just completed my first FF draft of the season today (for a big money league) and I really had no interest in MJD at the start of the draft. I was selecting 6th overall and he was nowhere on my radar screen.

Chris Johnson fell to me at No. 6, so I grabbed him. I was targeting a specific WR coming back around, but MJD tumbled all the way back to me with the 18th pick overall. I could not allow him to slip by me even though the player I had tagged was still on the board.

As a result, I have a CJ/MJD tandem at RB and, even with average years out of those guys, I will have far and away the best starting pair in the league.

Another thing, which I'm not sure whether or not Marlo touched upon...

I always find it valuable to go through the positions and see which are the strongest and which are the weakest. The best player on the board might well be a running back, but if I think the dropoff between that guy and the next guy I might have a shot at is less than maybe a less valuable receiver that sees a dramatic fall afterward, I will go with the receiver.

I don't just rank players, but I rank positions by their strength in a given year... And, I will often separate players into tiers based on what will be available from round-to-round.

Here is my starting lineup from my first draft today...

QB - Josh Freeman
RB - Chris Johnson
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew
WR - Dwayne Bowe
WR - Dez Bryant
Flex - Steve Johnson
TE - Jason Witten

12-man PPR league... $200 buy-in.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 08-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote