View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: What do you do when you're having a bad game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
If you're a shooter, you just have to realize that shooters go through these streaks. If your team is still passing you the ball, it means that even though you missed your last 3 or 4 shots, they are still confident enough in you to make the pass to you. So take it.
Right on. There's been a good amount of advice about what to do when you're having a bad game but I think ceasing to shoot is a very important thing not to do. It's one of the more telling signs of inexperience I can see on the basketball court these days and I'm careful to warn my players (and little brothers) about it.

At one point as a youth, around my sophomore year, it was imperative that I began my game with a field goal make. If I attempted and missed an open jumper or three pointer, I'd begin looking around to my upperclassmen teammates and I'd develop the thought that I only deserved to shoot open layups from there on out. It took longer than I thought to realize a great basketball player is still going to miss half of their shots and if my job is to attempt to score in good situations, then I must always attempt to score in good situations.

Now as a coach, I cringe a little when I see players miss an open shot, receive the same open look moments later, and then pass it up. What's worse is when a player is on a roll and they stop shooting because the thought is, "Maybe I shouldn't shoot, because that's exactly what they'll be expecting." Instead, if a player's on a roll, the thought should be, "They're expecting me, but they're still not going to stop me."

So in essence, if you're a shooter (or an open lay-up maker, or a mid-range guy, or strictly a bomber) don't alter your roll just because a few of your shots aren't falling. As others said, it can help to step up in other facets of your game, but don't run away from your problems, so to speak. There's a lot of guys out there (even Michael Jordan) who start games off shooting 3-13 through the first three quarters, only to blow up for a 7-9 quarter in the fourth. Unfortunately for me, through much of my early career, if I didn't start off 7-9, I'd just figure it wasn't my night. I was easily rattled by my own performance. A mature player will not get too high and not get too low, always understanding the next play is a new opportunity to succeed.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 10-21-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote