View Single Post
Old 07-01-2006, 03:27 AM   #1
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation
Default Demetri McCamey commits to Illinois

The No. 51 (Rivals.com) overall prospect is off the board.

Quite the bad news/good news day for the Illini, what with Turner's surprising OSU verbal being followed by teammate McCamey's Illinois verbal. Both surprised me, though in hindsight, neither should be all that surprising, I guess.

I was unaware that Turner's father lived in Ohio, actually. Had I known that I never would've felt too great about him ending up at Illinois, regardless of what he had said about the Illini being his favorites.

And McCamey's verbal to Illinois wasn't all that surprising, all things considered, because a couple weeks ago he said Illinois would be his favorite if we offered him; he had supposedly been an ACC lean, but that was when we were waiting to see what happened with Rose. Now, what's still happening with Rose....who knows. If Turner was also headed here then I'd take that as a sign that we'd moved on from him.

Or maybe the staff knew earlier this week, when McCamey was in town, that Turner was headed to Columbus, offered him then, and he accepted on the spot. That's my guess.

As far as Rose goes, I'd have to assume with a scholarship still available that we're still very much after him, selling him on being part of a Deron/Dee/Luther Part II.

And I'd also have to assume that, if in the interim someone like Alex Tyus or Alex Legion wants to take our final scholarship, that we're not going to wait around for Derrick.

Anyway....here's the article from Illiniboard.com on McCamey's commitment.

“I’ve been dreaming about going to Illinois”

Quote:
By: Kedric Prince
Publisher
Date: Jun 30, 2006

Within the course of 16 hours, the highly recruited duo of Demetri McCamey and Evan Turner from Westchester St. Joseph’s High School have gone from elite prospects to verbal commitments. Head coach Bruce Weber and his staff got the man they wanted from St. Joe’s today with McCamey’s commitment. Here are some quotes from the newest Illini.

One of the first things out of Demetri McCamey’s mouth was, “I’ve been dreaming about going to Illinois since I was little. I knew last Tuesday after my visit, that’s where I wanted to be.” said McCamey.

“I had a great time on my visit. I got to hang out with one of my closest friends, Jamar Smith. It was a great time. I got to play with the players, so it was just a perfect fit for me” he added.

When asked about Evan Turner, McCamey said he was very, very shocked by his decision. He thought Turner would attend Illinois. “He had to do what was best for him. I don’t think a lot of people understand that his dad lives in Ohio and he has a lot of family up there. On the court we will go at it, but off the court we will still be great friends.” said McCamey.

Why did McCamey verbal to Illinois? “It’s easy. It’s a great program. I really like Coach Weber a lot and he’s done a great job with the program.”

With this commitment McCamey, along with Eric Gordon, (whom both stand 6-4) could be one of the nation’s biggest backcourts. “I’m really excited about playing with Eric. It’s going to be a good fit. I’ll probably play the point and he will play the two spot. It should be great. If the coaches would like for me to talk to other players about coming to Illinois then I hope they let me know because I don’t have a problem doing it.” McCamey stated.

According to Scout.com McCamey is currently ranked as the 81st best prospect of the class of 2007.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote