View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #29
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Greg Popovich Agrees That NBA Champions Are Not The "World Champions"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
I think it's a stupid semantic argument and anyone who really honestly gets offended or angered by it should check their priorities.

Glad we got that out of the way.
I agree. I don't know of anyone who takes the term "World Champions" literally. Even as a child, I knew if the Detroit Pistons were "World Champions" it just meant they won the NBA championship, not some world-wide tournament.

We had a thread on this no more than a week ago. And I agree "World Champions" is totally inaccurate, but I don't think it birthed from some sort of collective elitist American viewpoint. Rather, I've always sort of assumed it was developed by some NBA representative in the 1950's who wanted to create an extra draw to the game. As I said in the other thread, to someone trying to sell the league, what sounds better: "Come watch the winners of last year's league tournament!" or "Come watch the World Champions!"

But to reiterate, again, I don't think anyone puts stock into the term "World Champion". It is indeed a matter of semantics in my opinion.

Here's a link to the original topic: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=246108
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote