View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM   #13
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Basketball coaching discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Toughest problem I ran into when coaching middle school was getting them to rebound. At that age it's usually just the biggest kids get the boards. Boxing out is something younger kids can learn the technique of but forget all about it during a game. Like they never learned it.

I ran a drill (that my high school team ran) where I'd take 4 players on offense with me and play half court, with me shooting a perimeter shot and the defense had to box out and rebound. If the offense got the board, defense did push ups.

It improved the aggressiveness for rebounds but I had kids colliding and getting hurt. Turned into a mess.
I always thought the most effective rebounding drill was one person shoots(intentionally missing) and the other person has to go in and rebound. If the ball bounces once/goes out of bounds, the whole team runs to the other end of the gym and back. You do that until a certain amount of rebounds in a row.

But rebounding is def. hard to teach people. They assume(no matter what they are told) that if they are shorter, they can't get better position and get the rebound.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote