View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 05:58 PM   #45
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Default Re: Lebron just lost major points in my book (and got owned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
I wasn't suggesting Nike would try and get out of their contract, I was saying that when his contract expired, they'd kick him like a stray dog. Loyalty implies relationship beyond business, that's what I'm getting at. Lebron shouldn't care the slightest about Nike. His money is guaranteed, who cares if the shoes are selling or not?

I don't know, it just bothers me that he speaks so highly of a company that is hell-bent on exploiting him in every way possible. I guess a 100 million can buy you a lot of dignity.
It's not like Nike is making James stand naked in chains on the slave block. His "dignity" isn't being majorly infringed upon in any way. And you're wondering why he cares whether or not the shoes sell? Nothing personal, but that's downright stupid. If his shoes don't sell then Nike won't be handing him the 150 million or whatever contract he asks for when his deal is next up for renewal. You don't take a hundred mil and then turn around and show apathy towards a company if you want them or anyone else watching to continue to give you contracts. Now if I was James I might have said something like, "he's entitled to try and start his business, but I'm sure that Nike makes the best sneakers in the world" instead of attacking Marbury's shoe, but he sent a message to Nike and other potential sponsors that when you sign LeBron James you get someone 100% committed to your company, and fir James, that's smart business.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote