View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #476
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jerry Sloan steps down, leaves Utah Jazz! Era is over!

From Karl Malone interview:

Quote:
"I think Coach Sloan will coach again in the NBA. Absolutely...I would love to [be an assistant coach], with Coach Sloan."

* Jerry Sloan quit because he didn't get the support of Jazz management, last year. Malone claimed that he had it on good authority that Deron Williams' insubordination had persisted and finally boiled over that night last season against Chicago in the Jazz locker room. Williams had broken several plays during the game and the coach and player argued heatedly afterward.

According to Malone, Jazz CEO Greg Miller and general manager Kevin O'Connor failed to back up Sloan's wishes to suspend Williams, so he quit. Still, the hole in the story is that if Williams was more valuable than Sloan, why trade him a week after Sloan quit?

On Jerry Sloan's exit
"I know for a fact, knowing Coach Sloan, if we're getting our butts kicked, we're practicing. I know for a fact that he was overridden on practices sometime on the road. Because Deron [Williams] was calling our GM.

"Coach pissed off, go in the locker room, words were said, Deron said words, Coach Sloan definitely said something, and the powers that be was there.

"In that defining moment, when [Jazz team management] shoulda stood up for Jerry Sloan...they chose Deron Williams. And Coach Sloan, being the coach I know and love, said, you know what? We should part the ways...And once Coach Sloan says something, it's history."

Well as we've seen this year a coach is a lot easier to replace than a superstar point guard especially for an offensive system that revolves around the 1. Why they traded him after not backing the coach doesn't make much sense though.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote