View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Euroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Euroleague 2011-12 Club Budgets

Remember when they announced they were making a longer Top 16 and game days on Fridays originally? I am talking about when they first mentioned it.

They also announced that the A licenses were ending after this season and that instead 16 franchises were being created. 16 clubs would be given a franchise and become a "permanent" part of a "closed league system".

With the last 8 places still being decided through domestic results and qualifying rounds.

The qualifications for the 16 franchise places are very high. Clubs have to have big arenas, good attendance, good TV ratings, good merchandise sales, high budgets, and good game results to qualify.

So, the A license system is being replaced and instead 16 clubs are being franchised. So they will become "permanent" clubs. Of course they said they would still have contract requirements so that if they did not meet these they could be removed.

However, initially, they are supposedly going for 13 franchises, and then they will decide on the last 3 in the next few years. But from what I understand, they will start with 13.

From what I understand, teams have to have a minimum modern 10,000 seat basketball specific arena, a set minimum of euros per season budget amount, minimum requirements for average arena attendance, and good TV ratings to even be considered (like consistent top 16 play for example).

So basically,

1. Barca (they have to move into their new arena)
2. Baskonia
3. CSKA (they have to move into their hockey arena, or update their basketball one)
4. Efes
5. Fenerbahce
6. Maccabi
7. Milan
8. Olympiacos (they either have to update SEF, or move into Helliniko)
9. Panathinaikos
10. Real Madrid
11. Malaga
12. Zalgiris

Those 12 clubs will be given the franchises starting next year. That leaves one opening for the 13th franchise. The most obvious candidate is of course Siena, but they have to meet the 10,000 arena rule or they won't get it.

They were building a new 11,000 seat arena, but then they started to delay the project. So their chances of getting the 13th franchise are a bit up in the air at the moment.

Most likely, they will finish the arena, once they had the monetary guarantee of getting one of the franchises.

So probably, assuming Siena finished their arena:

1. Barca (they have to move into their new arena)
2. Baskonia
3. CSKA (they have to move into their hockey arena, or update their basketball one)
4. Efes
5. Fenerbahce
6. Maccabi
7. Milan
8. Olympiacos (they either have to update SEF, or move into Helliniko)
9. Panathinaikos
10. Real Madrid
11. Siena (assuming they finish the new arena)
12. Malaga
13. Zalgiris

So that would then leave 3 remaining franchise places open, that would, from what I understand, be filled over the next 2-3 years.

I would guess that the current possibilities for the last 3 franchises to be given out later on, would be something like:

ASVEL
Bilbao
Cantu
Khimki
Bayern
Besiktas
ALBA
Brose
Cedevita
Rytas
Valencia
Galatasaray
Hapoel Jerusalem
Spartak Saint Petersburg
UNICS
Roma
Spirou

I guess other clubs like Treviso, Bologna, PAOK, Aris, Partizan, Cibona, Olimpija would also be candidates if they had ownership that would spend more money.

Last edited by Euroleague : 02-04-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote