View Single Post
Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Judge my shooting form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazaar
Several people have told me to try to raise the shooting pocket a little bit, and I observe that (without a few exceptions like Dirk) most shooters have it well above their heads...
I want to clarify my remarks a little. I see I mentioned your high release and I may have misspoken. High releases are fine. As you said, that's how most shooters finish. I'm still not sure how high you're going to want your initial shooting pocket though.

Typically, if one looks at game tapes closely enough, it can be found that most shooters initially form an "L"-like shape with their strong arm. More than likely, their triceps will be parallel (or close to it) when the shooting process is set in motion. Further, the angle created at the elbow joint is likely going to hover around 90 degrees. It's tough to say what part of the shooting process people are in during snapshots, but here's an idea of what I'm talking about:

It can be seen that Allen's triceps is nearly parallel to the ground at the start of his shot. Whereas, if you freeze frame you shot (say, at the 11 second mark of your video), it is quite clear your shooting arm is just as close to being perpendicular as it is parallel (to the ground). I feel if you were able to move that pocket more toward the front of your body as opposed to on top or behind your body, a lot of other aspects of your shot may begin to fall into place. As Allen continues his process, you'll see he still finishes very high.

Allen, just prior to release:

Allen, mid-release:

So again, he finishes high, but that's not where his shot begins. In truth, unless you make a point to attempt shooting from the hip, your shooting process is likely going to have the ball enough above your head without you consciously trying to raise it up even higher. I feel your primary concern should be the shooting motion itself, as opposed to how high you can get the ball in order to protect against potential shot blockers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salazaar
So basically I have to eliminate the catapult motion and try to bring the ball to the shooting pocket faster? The problem is that when I try to do so, I end up rushing and bricking the shot..

Also, is the thing that the ball is close to my head an issue itself?
I'll say, your shooting process is currently predicated on each particular motion you enact. As such, altering even one thing about your shot, whether it be ridding of the catapult, lowering your base, using your legs, is likely going to make your shot go haywire at first. It can often be a case of falling one step back, but ultimately moving two steps forward.

When I hit a shooting slump, I'll still find myself returning to the front of the rim when I'm working out alone and walking myself through the shooting motion, just to practice and clarify all the processes of a fundamental jump shot.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-29-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote