View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong wayXiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jazz and Paul Millsap in a slump

Quote:
Individual matchups can make a huge difference in the NBA, and coach Tyrone Corbin hinted he will be more inclined to create them after Paul Millsap destroyed Portland.

Taking advantage of his size advantage against the Trail Blazers’ Wesley Matthews and Nicholas Batum, Millsap scored 19 of his 31 points in the second half Monday night and led the Jazz to a 102-97 victory at the Rose Garden.

Join the Discussion
Post a Comment
The Jazz returned to practice Tuesday morning, and Millsap smiled when asked about Corbin’s decision to give him extended minutes at small forward.

"That’s who I am, that’s who my family is, that’s where I come from," Millsap said. "I do whatever it takes."

Millsap stands 6-foot-8 and weighs 245 pounds. He is three inches taller and 25 pounds heavier than Matthews, a former teammate. He is the same height as Batum, but weighs 45 pounds more.

The mismatch "… makes my job a little easier on offense," Millsap said. "But I also have to guard them on the other end. And I felt like I did a pretty good job."

Corbin played center Al Jefferson 39 minutes. Millsap played 34 minutes. Second-year man Derrick Favors played 35 minutes.

"We were struggling a little bit to score points and they were big inside," Corbin said. "We needed to get some shots in there.

"Paul has played some ‘three’ before and it was just an opportunity to keep some size and offensive punch on the floor. … It worked out well."

Corbin says Millsap could play more small forward in the Jazz’s final 12 games: "Paul did a great job of going inside and scoring and the guys did a great job of getting the ball to him. It’s something we’ll look at more going forward."

Long overdue! Gives them a lot more flexibility. Put the best players on the court.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote