View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Grinder

Grinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGrinder is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: ESPN's early preseason top 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Why people do this every year before the deadline dates to declare for the draft is beyond me.

Anyway, for once, I agree with you about UNC. Not necessarily about them being not top 25 but being that high. If McAdoo comes back then I think they're a top 15-20 team by the end of the season. If he leaves then they shouldn't be a preseason top 25 team.

Now, while the situation is still very fluid, it appears the pendulum has swung back in UNC's favor in the McAdoo decisions. He went home to visit with his family over the weekend and apparently everyone close to him is advising him to come back. While he could change his mind tonight or tomorrow and announce he's leaving, as of right now he's probably coming back to UNC.

On top of that, UNC has made it on Alex Oriakhi's final five list. Some UNC "insiders" feel like he's coming to UNC but I'm not buying it right now. I do like our chances though because of his final five and an SEC transfer rule. Along with UNC, he has Duke, Xavier, Missouri, and Kentucky on his list. The SEC has a transfer rule that a player transferring into the SEC must have more than one year of eligibility remaining, which Oriakhi does not. There is an outside chance Kentucky or Missouri could be granted a waiver by the conference if he really wants to go to either one of those schools. Not sure how Duke made it into his top five because Oriakhi's dad or Oriakhi himself said Duke wouldn't be in consideration.

Basically I said all of that to say this. If McAdoo comes back and UNC gets Oriakhi then the frontcourt would be pretty salty. Despite losing Marshall, they still return everyone else from the backcourt and get Leslie McDonald back from injury. The guard/wing rotation will consist of SR Strickland, JR McDonald, JR Bullock, SO Hairston, FR Marcus Paige, FR J.P. Tokoto. That would have the potential to be one of the deeper and more talented guard/wing groups in the country.

I agree, it's pretty pointless. Oriakhi's considering UNC? He'd be a great get for them. Leslie McDonald was supposed to be UNCs best shooter before he got injured right? That rotation of wings is scary - all guys with NBA size and skills. Don't know anything about Tokoto, but I've seen Paige and he'll be an impact player right away. If McAdoo comes back, they're definitely a preseason top 10.

I guess that #1 ranking for IU is assuming Zeller comes back. I'm pretty surprised he's turning down a possible top 5 selection this year but good for him. He'll have a chance to go #1 overall if he has a huge season. Zeller, Oladipo, Watford and Yogi Ferrell is a really, really tough core.

NC State is going to be really good, Kentucky as usual, and Louisville returns a lot of their core.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote