View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can you guys judge my jumpshot form and give me some serious criticisms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permodius
Thanks for the tips you gave me. I sincerely appreciate them, it's just so much to swallow. So far I have allotted that I should start by pointing my right foot towards the rim instead of inward and widening my base some more, then go from there. I will definitely try that out first things first once I get back on a basketball court. As for the catapult motion, It was much more severe earlier that day, I have some of that footage but did not upload that because I wanted my new form consulted, to see if it was that much better than how I shot before. Basically I brought the ball way further behind my head, further exaggerating the catapult motion. Any tips for getting my muscles to stop doing this motion? Also I understand what you are saying about catching the rock in a position when I am ready to shoot, I have been practicing that and shoot much better that way, I just need help on having the ball high up, and then having to bend my knees. I've been told to bring the ball straight up in this situation, but this results in me having the ball in its shot pocket before I even have my knees fully bent, should I disregard their advice and bring the ball down as I bend my knees, and then shoot? I apologize if I am being too greedy with the questions, it's just that your advice was phenomenal and it sounds like you are well-educated in regards to the jump shot.

To further help my point, if you pause at the 1:21 mark of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYF66...eature=related
You will see that Dwyane Wade has his knees fully bent but the shot pocket is still below his waist, whereas I would already have the shot pocket ready for release at this point. Is that a flaw in my shot? I changed this part of my shot due to the advice I received from an old-head, he told me not to bring the ball down before I shoot because I will be more prone to being stripped and my release and be slower. I've been given a lot of advice about my jump shot form in real life, but I'm beginning to question if all of it was correct. I'm not questioning your advice though of course, I believe everything you say.
Regarding your knees and the shot pocket:

I think you're close to coming to your own conclusion there. I see a lot of folks suggesting a person "keep the ball high" when they shoot but that's very often misinterpreted, and rightly so, for it's very vague advice. In truth, I feel the advice "keep the ball high" has more to do with where a person releases the ball than where their pocket begins, because everyone has to start their shot from a low area, since that's where they often pick up their dribble and that's where a lot of their power comes from.

For example, take a guy who has a history of being one of the "highest" shooting form guys - Rasheed Wallace. People often see photos of where his arms are at the point of release and assume that's where his entire shot process took place. Not so. Take a look at this video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsDULdstJ5U#t=1m22s . Rasheed catches the ball near his chest, and still must bring the ball down to his waist to begin his shooting process (as he bends his knees). It finishes high, but it starts low; and it's one continuous motion.

Essentially, shooting is about the collective upward momentum of one's body. By your knees being out of rhythm from the beginning of your shot and your shooting pocket being out of rhythm from your leap, everything's scattered all over the place. As such, you're right, you do in fact need to find a rhythm where the ball is low as your knees are bent, then comes upward and your legs begin to power up alongside.

To help with the catapult, I'd still suggest the one hand form shooting in front of the basket. I'd concentrate on bending the knees and creating an upward motion, finishing while holding the follow through and snapping the wrist (like you do in some of your shots). I was always told to shoot as if I were try to shoot out of a telephone booth. That means, make sure the release and follow through is relatively high (as opposed to being straight out in a line in front of your chest).

I'd slowly work toward a point where you could catch the rock, square both of your feet to the basket, bend your knees, and bring the ball upward as you begin to jump (in one fluid motion), releasing the ball as you're reaching the peak of your jump.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote