View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #67
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Aren't the "Occupy" people basically just giant IRS bitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Fair enough, although I think even you may have to acknowledge that while taxes may be immoral (and economically inefficient) it's the best way to do things for now. Just like what Winston Churchill said about democracy, 'democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.' You definitely need something to fund the courts, police system, national defence, which are all for the public good that will not be provided by the private sector. You can even think of it like this, what would you (as the population) rather have, 1) pay absolutely no taxes whatsoever, or 2) have no form of government?

And funny you should mention that 'beating up kid' analogy, because that's basically how 90% of Asian kids are raised (I mean in China and HK and most other places). Harsh? Yes. Wrong? A lot of parents would disagree with you. But at most levels, it also worked.

Don't fall into that trap. "If the government didn't do it, it wouldn't get done." The point of the police, and the national defense.. is not for the government to run the police, and the national defense. The point is to protect us, both from local criminals and foreign governments. In the absence of a government, the desire for protection would not disappear.

I've read some awesome suggestions for how both police and national defense could be done, sans government. I'm convinced that it's entirely possible and would be better. I'm not saying you'll come to the same conclusions I did, but definitely don't assume that just because the government wasn't there to do something, it wouldn't get done.

Your head (and mine) has been filled with bologna since day one. Every thing the government currently does, we're fed nonsense that voluntary people were impotent in accomplishing something, and so the government strutted in and saved the day. Food safety, work conditions, child labor, school, black employment. We are constantly made to believe, that without violent force, human beings just pick their noses and nothing gets done. People would be eating rotten meat without government, kids would be working 20 hour days in factories, the adults would have no vacation time or weekends. It's non-sense. All of it.

If the government controlled computers and the internet, we'd be told that without government intervention, only the rich would have internet, and the screens would give us seizures. Meanwhile, we'd all be surfing the web on dial up, thanking our wise public servants for "saving us" from the evils of the private sector. (Or the *voluntary sector*, to use the old trick of re-naming something whose brand has been stained. Though in this case, I think the new name is more descriptive than the old one. And as much as I'd like to say I thought of that, I stole the name change idea from Tom Woods ;)

Last edited by joe : 04-17-2012 at 06:55 AM.
joe is online now   Reply With Quote