View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jazz qualify for playoffs, get last spot in West

Good stuff from O'Conner:

Some fans saying Jazz made a mistake by making the playoffs and having their first-round pick go to Minnesota:

You know what? We got two first-round picks two years ago, we got two first-round picks a year ago and we got Jeremy [Evans], who we like. That's five young players. It's not like we have to have an infusion of younger talent. That's not something that's paramount. If we don't have it, then next year we get two picks. We could have two picks for sure, or we could have one and we don't know where it goes.

If you go back and look at the 14th and 15th players that were drafted most of the years, then you're going to say to yourself, 'I don't think they're game-changers.' Now, there's one or two that are. The consideration we have is for our organization. This is a very important step.

We've got kids that have busted their butt for 65 games to make the playoffs. For us to say, 'I'm disappointed we made it because we didn't get the 13th or 14th pick in the draft' is sacrilegious to me. You keep score, you win. If you're going to keep score, if you're going to play golf and you're going to keep score, you try and win. If you're playing your kids in something and you don't beat 'em and they know you're not trying to win, what fun is it for them? What do you teach them? What have we taught our young kids if we didn't just try to drag them to the finish line and quit in the playoffs?
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote