View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Need assistance dunking off of 2 legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
A couple of routine two-foot takeoff suggestions:

1) Keep your dribble low (and subsequently, keep your body low): It might be a good idea to take some dry runs to the rim (i.e. without a basketball, as you mentioned you do). Only, concentrate on when and where your body needs to be in order to maximize your takeoff. It might even help to film yourself jumping to the rim without the ball then filming yourself trying to dunk with a ball.

Oftentimes, the basketball can really mess things up due to a high dribble or other upright tendency that tends to zap a person of their normal springiness.

2) Stride it out, put your dribble in front of you: The idea is to duplicate your non-ball jumping routine for your actual dunk attempt. Sometimes I find slightly leading the ball out ahead of me (while not dribbling too hardly) can allow me to prepare for my normal, low, explosive takeoff. Getting low to the ground prior to takeoff is essential.

3) Start with a smaller ball: This is not something I've ever personally done, but it seems like it could make sense. Just in terms of maximizing your mechanics, it might not be a bad idea to give a smaller basketball a shot, just to get a feel for what success will look like.

4) Stay on your toes: Or more to the point, avoid setting strongly on the heels, thus zapping your leaping momentum.

5) If one-handers is all you've tried thus far, attempt the two-hand flush.

Above all else, as lame as this may sound, it may just be a matter of needing to add a few more inches to the ol' vertical (easier said than done).

My last thing I'll say though, if you don't already, try maximizing your running workouts. Sometimes I catch myself trying to preserve energy during pick-up games in hopes of saving up for a dunk opportunity at some point. However, it seems doing the opposite (going all out) is what provides me with the best opportunity. The benefits are two-fold: 1) Sprinting increases stride and stamina and 2) Running very hard then taking a short break seems to activate the leaping muscles. A lot of times, we can jump higher when we think we should be tired instead, if that makes any sense.

I think my problem was that I was too upright. I was under the impression that by being slightly upright before taking off I will be able to go downward and then quickly upward allowing me to have more jumping force overall, basically like a spring that is quickly coiled and then uncoiled. I didn't know that I should have been low the entire time. Even as I approached the rim. This is because I thought that most of the power came from the coiling and then uncoiling motion of going from upright to a crouched position, and then quickly jumping in one motion, or am I over-thinking this solution? Also, I wasn't completely upright, but I wasn't low too the ground either. When going for the 2-legged dunk attempt I start in a position upright enough just to the point where I can put my hands on my knees, and my knees aren't bent until the take off. Also, wouldn't I have to jump higher in order to dunk with 2 hands, or is the discrepancy in vertical needed to flush it with 1 hand versus 2 negligible?
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote